Nafplio is a port town in northeastern Peloponnese (Greece) located close to Argolic Gulf's north end. is also cruise port to the Mycenae archaeological site (near Mykines, Argolis). Nafplio is approx 90 kms (56 ml) southwest of Athens (country's capital), and also close to Argos (11 km / 7 ml to the south) and Corinth Canal (48 km / 30 ml to the north). The distance between Nafplio and Mycenae (northwest direction) is approx 23 km (14 ml), or 30 min drive.
The city was an important seaport ruled under succession of Italian royal houses during Middle Ages. Following the Fourth Crusade (1202–1204) it went under Republic of Venice and later was conquered by the Ottoman turks. Nafplio was the capital city of the First Hellenic Republic (established 1822).
Until the 13th century, the Old Town (Acronauplia) was a separate town. Later, with the arrival of Venetians and Franks it was added to the current city fortifications.