RCI-Royal Caribbean’s liner Explorer of the Seas is scheduled in Spring 2020 for USD 110 million drydock refurbishment (in Cadiz Spain) part of the company's Royal Amplified fleet renovation program. Beginning May 7, 2020, Explorer OTS will become the first amplified RCI vessel homeported in Civitavecchia-Rome. The ship will operate 7- and 9-night Mediterranean itineraries visiting ports in Italy and Greece/Greek isles (Santorini, Crete, Mykonos).
The long list of new venues and amenities to be added on the ship includes:
- Perfect Storm (outdoor complex with 2 high-speed waterslides - Cyclone” and “Typhoon”). Both spiraling slides are positioned portside and go around the Flowrider. Starboard is the raft slide “Tidal Wave” (rafts plummet down a very steep drop, hen shot up a nearly vertical wall into the air, follow a free fall and a swift return below).
- redesigned pool deck (Lido Deck 11) adding to the swimming pool's sundeck hammocks, daybeds, casitas (small wooden cabins) and in-pool chaise lounge chairs
- "The Lime and Coconut Bar" (poolside bar on 3 levels/decks)
- completely renovated Solarium (adults-only complex forward on Deck 11)
- Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen (Italian specialty trattoria restaurant also offering hand-tossed oven-baked pizzas and made-to-order dishes, premium Italian wines (by the glass) and signature Italian cocktails.
- "Playmakers Sports Bar and Arcade" - a sport-themed bar lounge with a total of 52 large-sized HDTVs on its walls, pub-type drink and food menus, arcade games, trivia contests, sports tournaments, pool table, Owner’s Box (VIP seating).
- Johnny Rockets Express (pool deck food and beverage service with US fast-food favourites and milkshakes.
- Starbucks (kiosk) serves brand's well-known coffee beverages and pastries.
- Studio B (2-level lounge / decks 2-3) will be upgraded with RCI's signature "glow-in-the-dark laser tag game "Clash for the Crystal City".
- Adventure Ocean (kids complex) will be redesigned and upgraded with new rooms and activities by age group.
- Teens-only club lounge will be redesigned and upgraded with a new hangout, music and gaming options, exclusive open-air sundeck.
Following the Transatlantic repositioning crossing from Europe to USA, Explorer OTS will be homeported in Miami Florida for Caribbean roundtrips (5- and 9-night Eastern and Southern Caribbean itineraries) also visiting CocoCay (RCI's private island in The Bahamas).
Explorer OTS is RCI's 4th Voyager Class liner to be Royal Amplified / refurbished by the USD 1+ billion (4-year) fleet modernization program that includes 10 liners.