This is CruiseMapper's article dedicated to Royal-Caribbean International (RCI) ships refurbishments. Here you will find drydocks schedule for the entire RCI fleet, with vessel refits dates, details on all upgrades and renovations, deckplan changes on the refurbished ships, dry-docks cost. This is a jump link to the drydock dates and refurb details - if you wanna skip the "Royal Amplified" program details.
RCI's "Royal Advantage" renovation program (2011-2016) was budgeted USD 300 million. The company's 6-ship refurbshment project "innovation renovations" was implemented in 2016, when the liners Adventure, Empress, Jewel, Liberty, Majesty and Radiance received some of the fleet's most popular onboard features.
"Royal Amplified" fleetwide renovation program
In mid-March 2018, Royal Caribbean announced an USD 900 million fleetwide ship refurbishment project ("Royal Amplified", 2018-2022) covering 10 liners in 3 classes (Oasis, Freedom, Voyager). By the "AMPED" program will be introduced new and innovative features, new experiences and amenities, new pool deck areas and venues, new dining options, new nightlife concepts, new onboard attractions.
"Royal Amplified" was budgeted around USD 1 billion.
Royal Amplified ships
Royal Amplified (AMPED) project covers a total of 10 vessels over 4 years. Further details on Oasis-Class ship upgrades are still forthcoming.
- In 2018 were "AMPED" the ships Mariner and Independence.
- For "AMPED" drydocks in 2019 are scheduled the ships Oasis, Voyager,
- For "AMPED" drydocks in 2020 are scheduled the ships Allure, Freedom, Explorer, Navigator,
- For "AMPED" drydocks in 2021 are scheduled the ships Adventure, Liberty. Full refurbishment details per vessel will be revealed each year.
Royal Amplified (new) shipboard facilities and venues
Among the new "Royal Amplified" venues are:
- HOOKED SEAFOOD is a casual, surcharge restaurant for classic, freshest New England seafood favorites. including lobster, crab claws, oysters (at raw bar).
- PLAYMAKERS BAR and ARCADE is an adults-only sports bar with a la carte priced fast-food options - like chicken wings, popcorn shrimp, sliders, RCI's new signature Playmaker Burger, ice-cold beers. Age restrictions are 18+ yo (on itineraries in South America, Europe, Asia, Australia New Zealand) and 21+ yo (North America departures).
- EL LOCO FRESH is complimentary Mexican Cafe restaurant open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. The traditional Mexican food (including beef burritos, fish tacos, carnitas) is served with mole sauce and salsa verde.
- FISH and SHIPS is a la carte priced, poolside fast-food bar serving American fare for Lunch and Dinner. The seafood menu features fresh-battered cod, lobster rolls, calamari, draft beers, hand-cut fries.
- JAMIE'S ITALIAN (menu link) is a casual, surcharge restaurant serving Italian fare for Lunch and Dinner. The venue is via partnership with the British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver. The menu offers handmade dishes from authentic recipes and prepared with seasonal (locally sourced) ingredients. Menu's signature item is "Jamie's Italian Famous Plank " (cured meats, pickles, cheeses). Other specialties are in-house made pastas, pumpkin panzerotti, zingy prawn linguine, variety of entrees, small plates, grills, desserts.
- THE BAMBOO ROOM is an adults-only, Polynesia-themed bar lounge serving handcrafted cocktails prepared with exotic fruits and spices, as well as sharable bites at the bar. Age restrictions are 18+ yo (on itineraries in South America, Europe, Asia, Australia New Zealand) and 21+ yo ((North America departures).
- LASER TAG course (BATTLE FOR PLANET Z) is a complimentary, glow-in-the-dark gaming experience offered at Studio B. Laser tag battles require minimum 40 players, with age restriction 5 yo.
- THE PERFECT STORM is a waterslides complex (complimentary) that includes "Tidal Wave" (aka Boomerango) plus 2 racer slides ("Cyclone" and "Typhoon"). Both spiraling slides are positioned portside and go around the Flowrider. At "Tidal Wave" passengers ride in rafts plummeting down a very steep drop. Then the rafts shot up a nearly vertical wall into the air for experiencing the sensation of weightlessness and free fall. Then follows a swift return below. Slides builder is WhiteWater - company specializing in designing and manufacturing of water park products and family-fun attractions. WhiteWater also owns the FlowRider patent. There are no age restrictions, but there are passenger height and weight requirements - min 48 inches (122 cm) and max 300 lbs (136 kg).
- SKY PAD is a bungee trampoline with optional virtual reality gaming headset. Age restrictions are 5 yo (jumping) and 7 yo (jumping with virtual reality headset). Passenger weight requirements are min 20 lbs (9 kg) and max 240 lbs (109 kg).
Royal Caribbean vessels are usually drydocked in Freeport Bahamas (Grand Bahama Shipyard), Singapore (Sembawang Shipyard) and Cadiz Spain (Navantia Shipyard). The ships usually enter drydocks in up to 5-year periods.
|Ship Name||Drydock Dates / Shipyard||Refurbishment Review / Deckplan Changes|
2021 (Royal Amplified)
2014 (February 23 - March 2) Freeport
2015 (May 1-19) Cadiz
2020 (Royal Amplified)
2018 (April 21-30) Hamburg Germany
2016 April (Cadiz)
2020 (Royal Amplified)
2020 (Royal Amplified)
2018 (April 4 - May 4 / Royal Amplified) Freeport
|The liner underwent general renovation works after its Asian/Chinese deployment. On Lido Deck (deck 14), Kung Fu Panda Noodle Shop was replaced with "Fish and Ships" (poolside a-la-carte seafood and beverages bar)|
2016 (March 21 - April 6) Cadiz
2016 (January 10 - February 6) Freeport
2021 (Royal Amplified)
2018 (May 8 - June 24 / Royal Amplified) Singapore
2016 May (Freeport)
2014 Sept-October (Rotterdam Holland)
2019 (September 22 - November 23) Royal Amplified
2019 drydock (USD 165 million)
2019 Jan 3 - Feb 23 (Royal Amplified)
2019 November (Singapore)
2016 May (Singapore)
2014 April-October (Rotterdam Holland)
2019 (September 10 – October 14) Royal Amplified
At the following taglink can be found listed all CruiseMapper's news related to drydock refurbishments. This page is also integrated with our hub for cruise ship refurbishments where are listed all other cruise companies fleets with deckplan links to each vessel.
CocoCay Island refurbishments and expansion 2018-2019
Since 2015, RCCL invests huge money in the corporation's private Bahamian island CocoCay. In March 2018, Royal Caribbean announced an USD 200 million project (named "Perfect Day Island Collection") for developing private land destinations in the regions of Caribbean, Asia and Australia. As part of this project, on CocoCay will be built unique water attractions.
- Thrill Waterpark attraction to be constructed, with 2 water towers (Daredevil's Tower, Family Tower) with a total of 13 slides. The Daredevil's Tower complex consists of North America's tallest waterslide (named Daredevil's Peak, height 135 ft / 41 m), Dueling Demons (2 drop slides), Manta Raycers (2 high-speed slides), Screeching Serpent (fully vertical slide), Green Mamba (coiling slide), as well as Caribbean's largest wave pool (Adventure Pool ) with obstacle course (lily pads), rock-climbing wall, . The Family Tower complex consists of all 6 waterslides, including 1 tubed (The Twister, capacity 2 persons sharing 1 raft), 1 zero-gravity (The Slingshot, capacity 4 persons) and 1 racing (Splash Speedway, with 4 lanes).
- Caribbean's biggest freshwater swimming pool (named Oasis Lagoon) has a swim-up bar and water loungers.
- Caribbean's only Zip-line with water landing has length 1600 ft (488 m) and crisscrosses the island at heigths up to 50 ft (15 m).
- The Bahamas' highest vantage point (an attraction named "Up, Up and Away") is a helium balloon flying up to 450 ft (137 m) above ground.
- Three new beaches - Chill Island (with private cabanas and daybeds), South Beach (specifically designed for beachside activities - volleyball, basketball, soccer, paddle boards, glass-bottom seakayaks, zorbs (nflatable bumper bubble balls) and Coco Beach Club (exclusive beach providing premium island vacation experiences with overwater cabanas). Coco Beach Club cabana rentals are inclusive of 1 hammock, 1 waterslide and dedicated service by a cabana attendant. The complex also includes a freshwater infinity pool, its own full bar and an exclusive restaurant serving Mediterranean cuisine specialties.
- Shipwreck Galleon (kids park) has 30 water cannons. The Sprayaway Geyser sprays water up to 82 ft (25 m) in the air. Both are part of Splashaway Bay. This is the enlarged version of the Royal Caribbean ships upgraded onboard aqua parks for kids, fitted with fountains, splash pools, sprinklers, geysers, cannons, whirlpools, slides, 2 drench buckets.
- Captain Jack's is a new bar and dining venue - designed as rowboat, with waterfront views, serving beverages and fast-food items (including chicken wings and steak fries).
- Skipper's Grill serves lunch fast-food (including sandwiches, burgers, tacos, salads).
- The beachside restaurant Chill Grill is CocoCay's largest. Also new is the food bar Snack Shack.
- Newly added amenities include wave runner and boat tours, snorkeling, private cabanas and daybeds for rental, several beach bars with upgraded menus.
In 2017-2018 was constructed a new pier (able to handle RCI's largest / Oasis-class liners), as well as basketball court, bocce ball court, bowling court, volleyball nets, large-size pool table.
In 2016 the private island was upgraded with new swim-up bar at Barefoot Beach, new cabanas, new island dock (for tenders), 35 beach bungalows (capacity 6 persons each) at Barefoot Beach.
In 2015, the island was upgraded with new trams (quieter and taller) and were added a new / shorter tram route and a new freshwater shower (at Barefoot Beach).
At the following taglink can be found listed all CruiseMapper news related to drydock refurbishments. This page is also integrated with our hub for cruise ship refurbishments where are listed all other cruise line companies with deckplan links to each vessel. And at the following link you can compare how Carnival spends its fleet drydock budget.