Cunard and P&O extend suspension of operations

   March 30, 2020 ,   Accidents

Cruise companies P&O and Cunard lengthened the suspension of operations because of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Two of Cunard Line's three liners began to sail back to Southampton UK earlier this month when the company halted its international cruises. In a statement, Cunard's President Simon Palethorpe said that it was "prudent" to extend the suspension until May 15. Another Carnival Corporation-owned company - P&O Cruises UK - said the maiden voyage of its newbuild - MS Iona, might be delayed.

Cunard's Queen Victoria sailed back in Southampton from Florida last week. Queen Mary 2 is returning from Australia carrying travellers who were unable to fly due to medical conditions.

Palethorpe added there could be a delay to the arrival of Iona, which is due to be officially christened in Southampton this summer because restrictions forced the slowdown of work at Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany.

P&O Cruises Iona ship

Other lines that use Southampton UK - Princess, Fred Olsen and Saga - also cancelled sailings when the government advised against cruise travel for people aged over 70, and those with pre-existing health conditions.

For Coronavirus updates on cruise ship quarantines (infected passengers and crew) and top-pandemic countries (COVID-19 cases and deaths, daily updated statistics) see at CruiseMapper's Norovirus page.

This website uses cookies and local storage. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies and local storage.