74 °F / 24 °C
Abidjan is a major pot city and the economic capital of Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire). It is also one of Africa's most populous French-speaking cities. The city covers a total area of approx 2120 km2 (818 ml2) and has population around 4,4 million.
- Considered Africa's cultural crossroad, Abidjan is characterised by high level of urbanisation and industrialisation. The city quickly expanded after building of a new wharf (1931), followed by designation as the capital of the then-French colony (1933). Abidjan remained Ivory Coast's capital city after the independence from France (1960).
- The completion of Vridi Canal (1951) enabled the city to become a major sea port. In 1983, Yamoussoukro was designated as official political capital city of Cote d'Ivoire. However, nearly all foreign embassies and political institutions continue to be located in the city of Abidjan.
- The city is officially designated the "economic capital" of Ivory Coast. The encompassing Abidjan Autonomous District (plus some city suburbs) is among Ivory Coast's all 14 districts.
- Abidjan is West Africa's largest sea port, and also Africa's 2nd largest - after Lagos (Nigeria). The containership (cargo) port was opened in 1951. The 15-m (50 ft) deep Vridi Canal is where larger vessels can dock.
- Abidjan City is the economic centre of both the Ivory Coast and of the entire region, including Mali and Burkina Faso. And this is mainly due to its deep-water port. The city's road network effectively increased port activities as around 1/2 of the businesses based in Burkina Faso, Niger and Mali pass through it.
- Abidjan receives most of the industrial activity of the country. The port receives around 60% of ivory park industry. It also serves local oil-production (especially refining and distribution) and cargo exports (cocoa, coffee, bananas, pineapples, manganese, also timber).
Port Abidjan cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Abidjan, Ivory Coast. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|30 January, 2020|