Arctic - Antarctica
37 °F / 3 °C
Akpatok Island is one of Canadian Arctic's uninhabited islands located in Qikiqtaaluk (Nunavut, Canada). The island covers a total area of approx 903 km2 (349 ml2).
Akpatok Island is the largest in Ungava Bay on Quebec's northern coast. It is named for Akpat, thick-billed murre (Uria lomvia), that live on the cliffs.
- The island is predominantly limestone. It is ringed with steep cliffs rising 150-250 m (490-820 ft) above sea level. In many places the cliffs are broken by deep ravines that allow access to the flat plateau 23 km (14 ml) wide and 45 km (28 ml) long.
- Akpatok Island is designated an Important Bird Area and Key Migratory Bird Terrestrial Habitat site. In addition to thick-billed murre, other notable seabird species include peregrine falcon and black guillemot. Seals, walruses and polar bears are also present.
- At the island's southern end there are remains of Dorset settlement.
- Akpatok Island is famous for its cannibalism - this practice ended around 1900 as the island's inhabitants moved to mainland. Many human remains and skulls have been found.
- An exploratory oil well was drilled in July 1971 on the island, yet all that remains are rusted equipment and several dilapidated shelters.
Port Akpatok Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Akpatok Island, Nunavut, Arctic Canada. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|19 August, 2019|
The Akpatok Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Akpatok Island, Nunavut, Arctic Canada.
If you lose the Akpatok Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.