Champasak is a Mekong River cruise port and small town located in southern Laos, approx 40 km (25 ml) south of province's capital city Pakse.
During the Lao kingdom of Champasak (aka Bassac, between 1713–1946), Champasak was once the state's capital. Its capital city status was abolished in 1945 by the French who created Laos. Current-day Champasak is a very small town featuring guest houses (built along the river bank). The town is the gate to the nearby Wat Phu temple ruins - located approx 10 km (6 ml) to the southwest.