Eckernforde (aka Egernfjord) is a port town located on Germany's coast on Baltic Sea, approx 30 km (19 ml) northwest of Kiel. The town covers a total area of approx 18 km2 (7 ml2) and has population around 22,000.
- Eckernforde is a popular vacation travel destination in northern Germany. It was mentioned for the first time in 1197.
- The city's name has mixed origin. It derived from the name of Danish castle (formerly located close to the current town). The fortification is listed in a 13th century document as Ykaernaeburgh.
- During the early 20th century, Eckernforde was famous for its safe harbour, fishing, manufacture of iron goods, also trade in agricultural products.
- All the German Navy's submarines are stationed in Eckernforde Port.
- The city is home of the alcoholic beverage company Waldemar Behn (estblished 1792). The german firearms manufacturering company SIG Sauer GmbH's headquarters are also located here.