The Houmas House Plantation (aka Burnside Plantation and Gardens) is a Mississippi River cruise port destination. This is a privately-owned historic house museum and plantation complex located in Burnside, Louisiana. The plantation was founded in the late 1700s, while its current mansion was completed in 1840.
In September 1980, the whole complex was included in the National Register of Historic Places. It contains 8 buildings, 1 structure and the land of approx 10 acres (4 ha / 0,04 km2 / 0,02 ml2) they rest upon.
- Houmas House Plantation had its origins dating back to 1774. Maurice Conway and Alexander Latil appropriated all the land of the local Houma (Native American) tribe on the east side of Mississippi River. In 1775, Alexander Latil built a French Colonial style plantation house.
- The original main house is the earliest surviving building. Its construction date is source of dispute. Some believe it's the original Latil house, featuring later alterations. Others point to evidence it dates back from Wade Hampton era (19th century).
- The main house is a Federal style 2-story high brick building with chimneys, end wall gables and stuccoed exterior. It has a pair of rooms on each floor, with a connecting staircase and central hall. It is linked to the later-built main house via a carriageway (roadway).
- In 1940, the entire property was purchased by George B. Crozat. He initiated an ambitious restoration project for the gardens and the buildings. In the process, he removed some of the house's original decorative elements to give it a "Federal" look. Until 2003, the Houmas house and grounds remained in the family, before passing to a new owner, Kevin Kelly.