Kapellskar is a Baltic Sea ferry port in Sweden's Stockholm County (Norrtalje Municipality), located approx 90 km (60 mi) north of the country's capital city Stockholm.
Port Kapellskar (locode SEKPS) serves regularly scheduled passenger shipping services linking to Finland (Mariehamn Aland, Langnas Aland, Naantali) and to Estonia (Paldiski). These cruiseferry services are offered by the companies VIKING LINE, FINNLINES and DFDS SEAWAYS. Their schedules include:
- 3 daily crossings Kapellskar-Mariehamn (travel time 2 hours 15 min) by VIKING LINE
- 2 daily crossings Kapellskar-Langnas (3,5 hours) by FINNLINES
- 2 daily crossings Kapellskar-Naantali via Langnas (8,5 hours) by FINNLINES
- 3 weekly crossings Kapellskar-Paldiski (9 hours) by DFDS SEAWAYS
However, only the Kapellskar-Aland routes are open to foot passengers. The other two routes (Naantali and Paldiski) are open for car passengers only.
In July 2021, Cavotec SA (Switzerland-based company specializing in design, engineering and manufacturing of automated connection and electrification systems for seaports and airports) won a contract for installing two automated mooring systems (MoorMaster NxG) at Port Kapellskar (owned by Port Stockholm) and Port Naantali (Finland).
- MoorMaster was planned to serve the new FINNLINES ferries (Superstar-class) that call at each port twice daily.
- The system significantly reduces turnaround times (docking) which allows lower cruising speeds thus reducing CO2 emissions (by ~5000 tonnes annually).
- MoorMaster also replaces with automated vacuum pads (remotely controlled) the hazardous mooring ropes, thus increasing safety for the ship and port personnel.
- Cruise Industry
Ports of Stockholm (Sweden) can jointly apply, together with 8 other Baltic Sea ports, for EU grant funding for pilot studies in order to develop the...January 18, 2023
- Cruise Industry
Finnlines’ 2nd Superstar ferry Finncanopus was launched at the China Merchants Jinling Shipyard in Weihai on December 30th, the company...December 30, 2022
- show more news