36 °F / 2 °C
Karlsruhe is a Rhine River cruise port and Baden-Wurttemberg state's second-largest city (after state's capital Stuttgart), with population around 310,000. The city is in southwestern Germany, located near the border with France. Here are the seats of Germany's two highest federal courts - Constitutional and of Justice.
City's main tourist attraction is the Karlsruhe Palace (Karlsruher Schloss, built 1715 by Charles William / town's founder) around which the city grew in the following centuries. This explains whiy town's oldest part is south of the palace and defined by 9 radial streets. The palace has two wings (at 45-degree angle) directed parallel with the streets and marking the boundaries of the quadrant that defines downtown.
Karlsruhe was Baden's capital in the period 1771-1945 (end of WW2) and Standehaus (built 1822) was Germany's first parliament building. Other tourist attractions include:
- Stadtgarten (recreational area, Karlsruhe Zoo)
- Durlacher Turmberg (13th-century lookout tower)
- two botanical gardens - Karlsruhe (part of Karlsruher Schloss) and the Univercity Garden (maintained by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)
- City's emblem - the stone pyramid at Marktplatz - marking the grave of Charles William
- Kleine Kirche (18th century)
- Rondellplatz, St. Stephan church (early-19th century), Grand Ducal Burial Chapel (late-19th century mausoleum), town's main cemetery (Germany's oldest park cemetery)
- Museum of Natural History, Baden State Theatre, State Art Gallery, , Scheffel Association (Germany's largest literary society), Majolika-Manufaktur (Germany's only art-ceramics pottery studio).
- City's economy is based on oil (here is country's largest oil refinery, located directly on Rhine) and high tech industries.
Port Karlsruhe cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Karlsruhe, Germany. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|14 November, 2019|