71 °F / 22 °C
Kuching is a Sarawak River cruise port on Borneo Island, and the capital city of Malaysia's Sarawak state, with population around 325,000. Kuching is a major food travel destination and one of Borneo's main gateways.
Among city's best-known tourist attractions are:
- Kuching Wetlands National Park (former Sarawak Mangrove Forest Reserve) is located some 30 km (19 ml) from the city and covers an area of around 170 km2.
- Bako National Park covers an area of around 27 km2.
- Semenggoh Wildlife Centre
- Rainforest World Music Festival is an annual 3-day long festival celebrating the world music's diversity.
- The Astana palace (built 1870) is located on the Sarawak River's north bank (opposite the Kuching Waterfront).
- Fort Margherita (built 1879) is an English castle designed to protect the port from pirates.
- Kuching Cat Museum (founded 1993) is the world's first of its kind. It has all 4 galleries with over 4000 artifacts and paintings related to cats. Among those is a mummified cat from ancient Egypt.
- Sarawak State Museum (built 1891) is Borneo's oldest museum. It displays indigenous arts and crafts, as well as collections of local animals.
Other Malaysian Borneo ports are Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan and Bintulu. Among the many riverboats cruising on Sarawak River is Pandaw Cruises' ship RV Tonle Pandaw leaving roundtrip from Kuching. The following table shows an exemplary itinerary with the sequence of visited ports of call on Borneo Island.
|20 Aug||Departing from Kuching, Borneo, Malaysia (bus transfer)|
|20 Aug||Departing from Lanjak, Indonesia|
|21-22-23 Aug||Danau Sentarum National Park, Borneo, Indonesia|
|23 Aug - 24 Aug||Selimbau, Borneo, Indonesia (Overnight)|
|24-25 Aug||Sintang, Borneo, Indonesia|
|25 Aug||Kapuas River|
|26 Aug||Sekadau, Borneo, Indonesia|
|26 Aug||Sekayam River|
|26 Aug - 27 Aug||Sanggau, Borneo, Indonesia (Overnight)|
|27 Aug||Tayan, Borneo, Indonesia|
|27 Aug||Arriving in Kuching, Borneo, Malaysia (Transfer)|
This 7-day cruisetour itinerary is themed "Into the True Heart of Borneo" / "Pandaw Kapuas Cruise"), with prices starting from around USD 2700 pp. Cruise rates are inclusive of airport transfers, 2-night hotel (Pullman Kuching / bed and breakfast) and guided city tour.
The Kapuas River system is Borneo Island's largest, flowing over 1100 km (700 ml) through Western Kalimantan (island's Indonesian part). The river basin is surrounded by mountains and filled with rainforest teeming with wildlife.
Port Kuching cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Kuching, Borneo, Malaysia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.