Compagnie du Ponant
Le Soleal Review and Specifications
Specifications of Le Soleal
|Year built||2013 / Age : 5|
|Flag state||Wallis and Futuna|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Ancona, Italy)|
|Class||ice-strengthened cruise ship|
|Building cost||USD 134 million|
|Owner||Groupe Artemis (Financiere Pinault)|
|Operator||Compagnie du Ponant Cruises|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||142 m / 466 ft|
|Beam (width)||18 m / 59 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||10992 gt|
|Passengers||224 - 264|
|Decks with cabins||6|
Current itinerary of Le Soleal
Le Soleal current cruise is 13 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Ushuaia. Prices start from USD 6148 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 07 Nov, 2018 and ends on 20 Nov, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|07 Nov||Departing from Valparaiso, Santiago, Chile|
|08 Nov||At Sea|
|09 Nov||Chiloe Island, Castro, Chile|
|10 Nov||At Sea|
|11 Nov||Caleta Tortel, Chile|
|12 Nov||PIO X Glacier, Bernardo O'Higgins National Park, Chile|
|13 Nov||Chilean Fjords, Patagonia|
|14 Nov - 15 Nov||Puerto Natales, Chile(Overnight)|
|15 Nov - 16 Nov||Puerto Natales, Chile(Overnight)|
|16 Nov||Puerto Natales, Chile|
|17 Nov||Chilean Fjords, Patagonia|
|18 Nov||Cape Horn, Chile Antarctica|
|19 Nov||Beagle Channel, Glacier Alley, Chile Patagonia|
|19 Nov||Puerto Williams, Navarino Island, Chile Antarctica|
|20 Nov||Arriving in Ushuaia, Argentina|
Review of Le Soleal
Launched in 2013, Le Soleal is the 3rd in a series of four identical Compagnie du Ponant cruise ships, together with L'Austral, Le Boreal and Le Lyrial. All these vessels feature ice-strengthened hulls, sleek-design superstructures, Zodiacs for ship-to-shore landing and coastal cruising itinerary routes (featuring overnight stays, long port days and late evening departures).
History - construction and ownership
Compagnie du Ponant (CDP) is a French cruise shipping company founded in April 1988 by former French Merchant Navy officers. All Ponant ships are France-flagged. The company specializes in premium adventure cruise travel targeting the French-speaking source market with all-inclusive deals. Most of CDP's fleet is based in Antarctica (December through March). All these mega-yachts offer modern amenities, premium service by highly-traned staff and crew, 5-star hotel amenities onboard. Exotic, offbeat itineraries visit popular travel destinations worldwide, including Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean, Southeast Asia, South America, Australia.
The 10,992-ton, 264-passenger cruise ship Le Soleal was introduced on December 6, 2012. She was built in Ancona at the shipyard Fincantieri as L'Austral and Le Boreal. The first voyage of the sailing vessel started on July 1, 2013. The mega yacht was christened by Kiki Tauck Mahar. Le Soléal became famous as the first French vessel to pass through the Northwest Passage. The voyage started in Kangerlussuaq (Greenland), on August 26, 2013 and ended in Anadyr (Russia), on September 16, 2013.
Cruise itinerary program
Le Soleal itinerary program is based on cruises in Europe. The itineraries include the Mediterranean with departures from Italy, Greece, Turkey and Iceland cruises from Reykjavik, as well as the Arctic region (Northwest Passage), from Greenland to Russia.
Le Soleal has a total of 132 cabins (all of which Outside, 124 Balcony, 4 Suites) in 6 grades. Most Le Soleal staterooms are 200-sq.foot Prestige cabins (92). The largest aboard Le Soleal is the Owner’s Suite (485 ft2). All staterooms have been decorated by French designers, offer individually controlled air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, DVD/CD player, twin beds, minibar and electronic safe.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Le Soleal cruise ship is small enough and provides a truly intimate experience. This special yacht is ideally suited to visit ports of call that bigger ships cannot reach. On board, Le Soleal offers two restaurants – the casual Le Grill and the Gastronomic restaurant (the main dining room serving international and French cuisine).
Follows the complete list of Le Soleal restaurants and food bars.
- Gastronomic Restaurant (“Le Coromandel”, 268-seat, ship’s MDR; serves International upscale cuisine; offers open-seating dining, with buffet-style breakfast and lunch, waiter served dinner)
- Grill Restaurant (“Le Rodrigues”, offers open-seating buffet breakfast and lunch, served dinner; has an outdoor seating area).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Although the company owner was bought by CMA CGM and later sold, the style of the yacht remained unchanged as it was designed. Le Soléal is a combination of French style, green technologies, computer controlled sails, luxury and intimacy. The yacht offers state-of-the-art theatre, dance space, panoramic lounge, library and much more. Le Soleal could not be compared to any small cruising ship. The mega-yacht has 6 decks and despite its size, spacious staterooms with private balconies. There are also two lounges – the main, which serves afternoon tea and features live music, dance floor and cocktail bar, and the panoramic, which has an internet desk, library, cocktail bar, live entertainment. Le Soleal has a pool deck bar as well as a leisure area and a Photograph shop.
Follows the complete list of Le Soleal lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Marina (water sports platform; offers mostly swimming; it is used only when Le Soleal is anchored and the sea is calm)
- Le Soleal Atrium (2-deck high open-floor area; features a chandelier with Swarovski crystals)
- Main Lounge (“Karikal Lounge”, with large-size LED screen and floor-ceiling windows; offers early breakfast, specialty teas and coffees, Afternoon Tea complemented with gourmet cookies and fine chocolates; evening entertainment features live performances by resident singer and pianist and an art auction, once per Le Soleal cruise; the outdoor aft terrace is the only one smoking area on board)
- Boutique Shop (esigner clothing, luxury jewelry, Ponant logo merchandise, special occasion gifts)
- Theatre (main show lounge for music and dance shows)
- Wellness Centre (Spa, Balneo Room, Hammam, Massage Room, Beauty Corner, Hair Salon, Shower Room, Relaxation Room, a spacious terrace)
- The Fitness (gym room with panoramic windows)
- Leisure Area (has a small kids playroom, Photo Gallery, Image & photo desk via partnership with Philippe Plisson, and Internet stations)
- Image and Photo Desk
- Swimming pool’s sunbathing area (with luxury loungers)
- Panoramic Lounge and Bar (with an Internet corner, grand piano, Library, “Panoramic Terrace” - served by the Panoramic Bar, it is the ship’s late-night “disco”)
- Sun Deck (open-air sunbathing area, served by the“Le Comptoir”bar, with luxury loungers, padded chairs, showers, deck games - Shuffleboard, Golf Driving Net, 9-hole Mini-Golf)
- Zodiacs (inflatable boats).
Le Soleal wiki
- Le Soleal cruise ship is the third in a three yachts' series commissioned by the Compagnie du Ponant line. Her identical sisters are Le Boreal (2010), L’Austral (2011), and Le Lyrial (2015). The vessel started operations with a maiden voyage in July, 2013.
- The Le Soleal ship, just like her sisters, has an ice-strengthened hull, allowing it to cruise in the Antarctica and Arctic regions. Each of the Ponant's "big yachts" carries a fleet of Zodiacs for sightseeing. Compagnie du Ponant emphasizes on coastal cruising, long days in port, and late departures.
- The vessel is a certified "Cleanship" (like the sisterships), featuring a modern marine propulsion system. It provides smooth and quiet navigation by creating reduced engine noise and little vibration. The modern vessel positioning system eliminates the need for the ship to anchor in order to remain stable, thus preventing contacts with seabeds in environmentally sensitive areas, such as coral reefs.
- Le Soleal was the first ever France-flagged marine vessel (together with the fleetmate Le Boreal) with a Northwest Passage Cruise itinerary. The unique itinerary started on August 26, 2013, when the ship left Kangerlussuaq Greenland to arrive in Anadyr Russia on September 16. Among the ports of call along the route were Beechey Island and King William Island (Gjoa Haven). During these voyages, Ponant cruise passengers enjoyed seeing hundreds of beluga whales and narwhales, and around 60 polar bears. Charles Hedrich (French sportsman and adventurer) was also there as special guest - being the world's first man to solo cross the Northwest Passage (in September 2009) in a rowing boat.
Le Soleal - user reviews and comments
Photos of Le SolealAdd Photo
Le Soleal ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Today, March 22, the only French-owned cruise line and world leader in expedition cruising to the polar regions, Ponant, opened bookings for over 22...March 22, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Luxury cruise line Mundy Cruising announced a 357-day world cruise itinerary that will hit all 7 continents. Passengers won’t...October 11, 2016
- show more news
Other Compagnie du Ponant cruise ships
Le Soleal Itineraries
The below listed Le Soleal cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Compagnie du Ponant fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Oct 22||12 days, one-way from Puerto Quetzal to Callao||Puerto Quetzal||$3539|
|2018 Nov 03||4 days, one-way from Callao to Valparaiso||Callao||$722|
|2018 Nov 07||13 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Ushuaia||Valparaiso||$6148|
|2018 Nov 20||11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$6696|
|2018 Dec 20||17 days, round-trip Christmas and New Year in Southern lands||Buenos Aires||$14096|
|2019 Jan 05||11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$7070|
|2019 Jan 15||11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$7070|
|2019 Jan 23||17 days, round-trip Beyond the Polar Circle||Buenos Aires||$11191|
|2019 Jan 25||11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$7070|
|2019 Feb 14||11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$7070|
|2019 Feb 24||9 days, one-way from Ushuaia to Easter Island||Ushuaia||$1287|
|2019 Mar 04||15 days, one-way from Easter Island to Papeete||Easter Island||$3757|
|2019 Mar 18||18 days, one-way from Papeete to Honolulu||Papeete||$4017|
|2019 Apr 02||15 days, one-way from Honolulu to Maizuru||Honolulu||$1991|
|2019 Apr 15||9 days, one-way from Maizuru to Kobe||Maizuru||$5213|
|2019 Apr 23||9 days, one-way from Kobe to Maizuru||Kobe||$5213|
|2019 May 01||9 days, one-way from Maizuru to Kobe||Maizuru||$5213|
|2019 May 09||9 days, one-way from Kobe to Maizuru||Kobe||$6602|
|2019 May 17||9 days, one-way from Maizuru to Kobe||Maizuru||$5213|
|2019 Jun 24||13 days, one-way from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to Juneau||Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky||$6087|
|2019 Aug 22||14 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$5730|
|2019 Sep 03||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego||Vancouver||$2302|
|2019 Sep 10||13 days, one-way from San Diego to Puerto Quetzal||San Diego||$4471|
|2019 Sep 23||13 days, one-way from Puerto Quetzal to Guayaquil||Puerto Quetzal||$4393|
|2019 Oct 06||12 days, one-way from Guayaquil to Valparaiso||Guayaquil||$3669|
|2019 Nov 01||13 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires||Valparaiso||$6425|
|2019 Dec 09||11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$7339|
|2019 Dec 19||18 days, round-trip Christmas and New Year in Southern lands||Ushuaia||$10809|
|2020 Jan 04||11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$7235|
|2020 Jan 14||11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$8148|
|2020 Feb 03||17 days, round-trip Beyond the Polar Circle||Buenos Aires||$11348|
|2020 Feb 19||11 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$8148|