82 °F / 28 °C
Masirah Island (Mazeira) is located in Red Sea and off mainland Oman (east coast) in southeastern Arabian Peninsula. The island covers a total area of approx 649 km2 (251 ml2) and has population around 12,000. All inhabitants live in 12 villages, mainly in the island's northern part.
- Masira is Oman's largest island, with length 95 km (59 ml) north-south and width 12-14 km (8-9 ml). Island's largest settlement is Ras-Hilf, where are also located Air Force base and fish factory.
- Main industries include traditional textile manufacturing and fishing. Shipbuilding was formerly important, as well as copper ore mining.
- Most of the island's interior is deserted, and only accessed via small car ferry or via military aircraft (Airbus A320 and C-130 Hercules helicopter flights).
- Masirah was recently opened for tourism. Travellers arrive mainly by ferry, with scheduled 6 daily crossings Shannah-Masirah. Rental cars are also available on Masira.
- The island features a 4-star hotel and kitesurfing camp - used by kitesurfers in the summer as monsoon winds are steadily here and with speeds over 37 kph (23 mph).
- Island's rugged terrain and the rough coastline caused many wrecks with numerous dhows (traditional sailing boats) on the beaches. Most wrecks are well preserved by the intense heat and salt water.
Masirah Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Masira Island India dock (anchor) at Masirah - port town on the north-western coast.
The Masirah Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Masirah Island, Oman.
If you lose the Masirah Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.