Mozambique Island (Ilha de Moçambique) is located off northern Mozambique, between Mozambique Channel and Mossuril Bay. The island has permanent population around 14,000. It is part of Nampula Province, and until 1898 was the capital of Portuguese East Africa (colony). The Island has large sandy beaches and is one of Mozambique's fastest growing tourist travel destinations, as well as UNESCO site. The island is served by Lumbo Airport in Nampula (mainland Mozambique).
- Apart from its colonial fortifications, half of the island is stone-built. Its hospital was constructed in 1877, and has a garden decorated with fountains and artificial ponds. Among the best known tourist attractions on the island are the Sao Paulo Palace (built 1610 as Jesuit College, later used as Governor's Residence, today museum), Sacred Art Museum (former Misericordia Church), Santo Antonio Church, Nossa Senhora de Baluarte Chapel, Hindu temple, several mosques.
- With the opening of Suez Canal (1869), island's good fortune faded away. The capital city was moved to Maputo in 1898. By the middle of 20th century, Port Nacala took most of the shipping trade that had remained.
- Mozambique Island Bridge has length 3,4 km (2 ml). It was built in 1969 to link the island with mainland Mozambique.
- The majority of residents on Mozambique Island live in reed houses in Makuti (southern coast).
Mozambique Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Mozambique Island dock at Lumbo (port town on mainland Mozambique). Smaller ships anchor near the island and transport their passengers ashore via the ship's tender boats.