Muroran is a port city in Iburi Subprefecture, Hokkaido, Japan. Muroran is also the capital city of the Subprefecture. The city has an estimated population of 93,720 inhabitants, with 47,870 households and a population density of 1,162 people per km2 (3,010 people per ml2), according to 2012 census. The total area of Muroran is 80.65 km2 (31.14 ml2).
- The origin of the name "Muroran" is derived from Ainu word "Mo Ruerani" meaning "the bottom of a little slope". A little slope, found in front of former Senkai Temple (Sakimori-cho), is noted in relation with the name of the city.
- During the late 16th century, Muroran region came under administration of Matsumae clan. The city of Muroran was developed as a trading post between Ainu and Matsumae clan people.
- Muroran port was opened in 1892 for wooden bridge construction at Kaigan (ex-Tokikaramoi). At the same time, city's main road started construction from Hakodate to Sapporo which was the first point of Hokkaido Colonization Plan.
- In July 1899 an Imperial decree established Muroran as open port for trading with the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Via the opening of ship route to Mori as well as railroad extension to Iwamizawa, the municipality of Muroran was started on August 1, 1922 as core of the major sea and land traffic in Hokkaido's pioneer era. Since then, the city of Muroran has been developing as a major transportation hub and center of steel industry. Unfortunately, in July 1945 this earned the industrial plants of the town a bombardment by the newest American battleships in the closing days of World War II.
- Currently, there are large oil refineries, steel mills, cement factories and shipyards clustered around port Muroran.
- The most scenic spots in Muroran include Hakucho Bridge (spanning the Port of Muroran, the largest suspension bridge to be found in eastern Japan); Mount Wshibetsu and Itanki Beach. Muroran holds 8 specific scenic sights named Muroran-Hakkei with the most popular of them being the Earth Cape.
Port Muroran cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Muroran, Japan. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|30 April, 2019|
The Muroran cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Muroran, Japan.
If you lose the Muroran location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.