Diamond Princess current position
Specifications of Diamond Princess
|Year built||2004 / Age: 16|
|Builder||Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (Nagasaki, Japan)|
|Building cost||USD 400 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||290 m / 951 ft|
|Beam (width)||48 m / 157 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||115906 gt|
|Passengers||2706 - 3247|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Sister-ships||Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess, Golden Princess (Pacific Adventure), Grand Princess, Ruby Princess, Sapphire Princess, Star Princess (Pacific Encounter)|
|Christened by||Yoshiko Tsukuda|
Diamond Princess Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Jul 01||6 days, round-trip Korea Japan Getaway||Yokohama||$859|
|2021 Jul 07||6 days, round-trip Korea Japan Getaway||Yokohama||$859|
|2021 Jul 13||6 days, round-trip Korea Japan Getaway||Yokohama||$859|
|2021 Jul 19||16 days, round-trip Grand Japan with Gion, Tenjin Nebuta Festivals||Yokohama||$3059|
|2021 Jul 19||8 days, round-trip Gion and Tenjin Festivals||Yokohama||$1579|
|2021 Jul 27||18 days, round-trip Grand Japan with Nebuta Summer Festivals||Yokohama||$3429|
|2021 Jul 27||8 days, round-trip Northern Japan with Nebuta Festival||Yokohama||$1579|
|2021 Aug 04||19 days, round-trip Grand Japan with Nebuta, Kumano Fireworks Summer Festivals||Yokohama||$3639|
|2021 Aug 04||10 days, round-trip Circle Japan with Nebuta Summer Festivals||Yokohama||$1949|
|2021 Aug 14||18 days, round-trip Grand Japan with Kumano Fireworks||Yokohama||$3079|
|2021 Aug 14||9 days, round-trip Japan Explorer with Kumano Fireworks||Yokohama||$1789|
|2021 Aug 23||17 days, round-trip Japan Explorer Circle Hokkaido||Yokohama||$2569|
|2021 Aug 23||9 days, round-trip Japan Explorer||Yokohama||$1439|
|2021 Sep 01||17 days, round-trip Circle Hokkaido Sea of Japan||Yokohama||$2569|
|2021 Sep 01||8 days, round-trip Circle Hokkaido||Yokohama||$1279|
|2021 Sep 09||9 days, round-trip Sea of Japan||Yokohama||$1439|
|2021 Sep 18||5 days, round-trip Korea Japan Getaway||Yokohama||$779|
|2021 Sep 23||14 days, round-trip Circle Hokkaido Explorer||Yokohama||$1989|
|2021 Sep 23||8 days, round-trip Circle Hokkaido||Yokohama||$1279|
|2021 Oct 01||15 days, round-trip Grand Japan with Danjiri Festival||Yokohama||$2149|
|2021 Oct 01||6 days, round-trip Korea Japan Getaway||Yokohama||$949|
|2021 Oct 07||9 days, round-trip Japan Explorer with Danjiri Festival||Yokohama||$1439|
|2021 Oct 07||17 days, round-trip Southern Islands Japan Explorer with Danjiri Festival||Yokohama||$3369|
|2021 Oct 16||8 days, round-trip Southern Islands||Yokohama||$1279|
|2021 Nov 08||23 days, one-way from Singapore to Los Angeles||Singapore||$1989|
|2021 Dec 01||34 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires||Los Angeles||$3679|
|2021 Dec 01||18 days, one-way from Los Angeles to San Antonio||Los Angeles||$1119|
|2021 Dec 19||16 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$2549|
|2022 Jan 04||16 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$2549|
|2022 Jan 20||16 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$2549|
|2022 Feb 05||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$1919|
|2022 Feb 19||14 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1819|
|2022 Mar 05||31 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles||Buenos Aires||$3129|
|2022 Mar 05||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$1919|
|2022 Mar 19||17 days, one-way from San Antonio to Los Angeles||San Antonio||$1169|
|2022 Apr 05||23 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Yokohama||Los Angeles||$1819|
Diamond Princess Review
Review of Diamond Princess
History - construction and ownership
Princess Cruises is a US cruise company headquartered in Beverly Hills CA. A former subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises (founded 1977), in 2003, the company merged with Carnival Corporation - world's largest passenger shipping company. Among Princess Cruises assets is the Caribbean private island resort Princess Cays (on Bahamas Eleuthera Island's southern end), located approx 80 km (50 mi) from Nassau.
The 115,906-ton, 2,674-passenger cruise ship Diamond Princess debuted in winter 2004 as the biggest vessel in the fleet of Princess and travellers were very impressed. Diamond Princess is also the first cruise liner built in Japan in more than a decade. The restaurants and diversity of lounges disperse the crowds and make passengers feel like they are on a much smaller cruise ship.
There are times the Princess Diamond ship does feel big, especially at night when passengers find themselves at the wrong end of the hallway from their stateroom. Diamond Princess, with her 4 swimming pools, a children splash pool, extensive kid's centre and cutting edge amusement and programs, is especially well suited to families, and that's likely why there were a good number of multigenerational groups onboard. Couples will find much to like on this cruise too, including the fact the dining venues have a decent number of tables for two.
Cruise itinerary program
Diamond Princess itinerary program is based on cruises leaving from Australia, New Zealand and Asia in the summer. During winter months, the ship offers Japan cruises departing from homeport Yokohama (Tokyo). Princess Cruises scheduled the company's ever longest Japan season with Diamond Princess. Itineraries were from homeports Kobe and Tokyo, circumnavigating the country. In season 2018, a total of 63 itineraries (ranging 4-23-days) offered visits to 38 destinations in 7 countries.
Ship's Japan 2020 cruise program was also based on homeports Kobe and Tokyo, with 50+ departures to 50+ destinations in 11 countries. The planned 2020 itineraries (ranging 5-28 days) included special onboard events and shore activities themed on Japan’s traditional cherry blossom celebrations and summer festivals. The program featured:
- 8-day "Japan Explorer with Kumano Fireworks" (roundtrip from Tokyo) visits Wakayama, Kumano, Kochi, Kanmon Straits, Busan, Nagasaki, Gunkanjima, Kagoshima. The voyage departs on August 15 (2020), with prices starting from GBP 1450 pp.
- 9-day "Japan Explorer Spring Flowers" (roundtrip from Tokyo) visits Gamagori, Osaka, Kochi, Hiroshima, Busan, Sasebo. The voyage departs on April 2 (2020) with prices starting from GBP 1400 pp.
- 14-day "Borneo and Japan" (from Singapore to Tokyo) visits Bandar Seri Begawan, Kota Kinabalu, Manila, Hong Kong, Taipei, Okinawa, Osaka, Shimizu. The voyage departs on December 30 (2020), with prices starting from GBP 1770 pp.
In early-August 2020, Princess Cruises cancelled all Diamond Princess itineraries in Asia for winter season 2021-2022. The cancelled voyages (out of homeport Yokohama Japan) were scheduled for the period October 24, 2021, through April 19, 2022.
On August 18, 2020, was officially announced Diamond Princess ship's inaugural South America and Antarctica season 2021-Fall through 2022-Spring. With the new deployment, Princess Cruises replaced in the region Diamond's fleetmate Sapphire Princess (December-March).
The new Diamond Princess itineraries during the maiden season include:
- "Andes and South America" (departures December 1, 2021, March 19, 2022)
- "Antarctica, Andes and Cape Horn Grand Adventure" (departures December 1, 2021, March 5, 2022)
- "Antarctica and Cape Horn" (departures December 19, 2021, January 4 and January 20, 2022)
- "Cape Horn and Strait of Magellan" (departures in 2022 February 5, February 19, March 5)
- The ship also offers two repositioning cruises (North Pacific Ocean crossings) between Asia and South America (between Los Angeles USA and Singapore/Yokohama Japan via Honolulu Hawaii).
Princess Cruises South American itineraries feature coastline cruising and exploring exotic port cities like Santiago (from Port San Antonio Chile), Buenos Aires Argentina, Montevideo Uruguay, Rio de Janeiro Brazil, Lima (from Port Callao Peru), Pisco Peru, Punta Arenas (Chilean Patagonia's Fjords), Falkland Islands (UK), Cape Horn (scenic cruising), Magellan Strait (passage). On shore excursions are visited Iguazu Falls (Parana Brazil) and Machu Picchu (Peru's Andes Mountains).
Most Diamond Princess staterooms are 170-sq.foot balcony rooms (522). Almost 75% of ship's outside accommodations have private balcony views. There are a total of 1337 staterooms in 33 categories. 27 are the wheelchair-accessible rooms. The largest aboard Diamond Princess is the Grand Suite (615 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Nearly all dining options onboard Diamond Princess are complimentary, including the five main dining rooms: Vivaldi, Pacific Moon, International, Santa Fe and Savoy Dining Room. There is also a free of charge buffet, pizza place, ice cream counter and grill. All main dining rooms offer the same menu items, though each has a small selection of signature items, most of which can be made in appetizer size. Sailings that carry a majority of Japanese cruisers feature purposely small entree sizes. On cruises that are not full, certain main dining rooms will not be open. On some of the sea days, Savoy opens for a special British-Style pub lunch featuring fish and chips, steak and kidney pie. Lunch in the International is especially popular with Japanese passengers, as it offers a variety of Asian dishes.
Follows the complete list of Diamond Princess restaurants and food bars.
- Savoy Restaurant (ship's aft Dining Room; offers traditional dinner at 5:30 p.m., as well as “Anytime Dining” between 8-10 p.m., and British pub lunch)
- Pacific Moon Restaurant (ship's forward Dining Room for Breakfast 7-9 a.m., Lunch 12-1:30 p.m., Afternoon Tea 3:30-4:30 p.m.; features “Anytime Dining” for Dinner between 5:30-8 p.m. or 8-10 p.m.)
- Vivaldi Restaurant (dinner only aft Dining Room; offers traditional dinner at 5:30 p.m., as well as “Anytime Dining” between 8-10 p.m.)
- Santa Fe Restaurant (forward Dining Room, “Anytime Dining” dinner only)
- International Restaurant (aft Dining Room, with 2 dinner seatings at 5:30 and 8 p.m.)
- Sabatini’s Restaurant (Italian speciality restaurant; reservations recommended)
- Trident Grill & Prego Pizzeria (self-service, complimentary fast food bar)
- Horizon Court (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary)
- Sterling Steakhouse (speciality restaurant for seafood, grills, steaks).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The 2-deck Princess Theater serves as ship's main entertainment venue. There, guests can catch one of the traditional song-and-dance Princess Cruises' production shows. The theatre also offers a variety of other acts, including magicians and juggling comedians, doing shows that combine English and Japanese. Afternoon movies alternate daily between both languages. At night, virtually every bar offers some kind of music and enough room for dancing: from Latin and ballroom music in Club Fusion and DJ dance music in the Skywalkers Nightclub to light piano at Crooners. Theme nights (50s rockabilly, Country & Western and Caribbean deck party) are also common.
Follows the complete list of Diamond Princess lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Piazza Atrium (3-deck open floor area; features live performances entertainment and lobby Bar Piazza)
- Princess Fine Arts Gallery; Photo Gallery & Shop; Platinum Studio
- La Patisserie (speciality coffee bar)
- Library (with Internet stations); Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Princess Diamond Theatre (2-level musical and show productions; hosts workshops, seminars, game shows)
- Churchill Lounge & Bar (smoking lounge and sports bar)
- Calypso Cove Shop; Essence Shop; Meridian Bay Shop; Facets Shop
- Princess Diamond Grand Casino
- Crooners Lounge & Bar (live music; also used for seminars)
- Explorers Lounge & Bar (disco/show lounge; hosts karaoke, comedy, game shows and art auctions)
- Wheelhouse Bar (piano bar during the day and an English pub nightly)
- Club Fusion Lounge (hosts dance classes and quizzes, after 7:30 p.m. becomes Disco & Nightclub)
- Scoops Bar (Sundaes Ice Cream Bar, complimentary)
- Outrigger Bar (poolside bar); Tradewinds Bar; Wake View Bar
- Diamond’s Lotus Spa complex; Beauty Salon; Fitness Center (with Aerobics Studio)
- Hearts & Minds (Wedding Chapel)
- Movies Under the Stars (LED screen outdoor cinema)
- Video Games Arcade; Teen Center; Youth Center with Paddling Pool and outdoor playing areas
- The Conservatory (recreation area); The Oasis relaxation area
- The Sanctuary (adult-only open-air area)
- Calypso Reef & Pool area; Neptune’s Reef & Pool area
- Jogging Track; Sports Court (volleyball, basketball, European football); Deck Chess, Shuffleboard; Princess Links mini golf course, Cybergolf simulator
- Skywalkers Disco & Nightclub.
Diamond Princess - user reviews and comments
Photos of Diamond PrincessAdd Photo
Diamond Princess ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises announced unveiled the maiden season for its Diamond Princess, sailing to South America & Antarctica in fall 2021-spring 2022...August 21, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises cancels all Diamond Princess sailings throughout Japan and Asia October 2021-April...
Princess Cruises announced it will cancel all voyages on 2670-passenger liner Diamond Princess throughout Japan and Asia between October 2021-April...August 7, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Corporation's premium brand Princess Cruises cancelled sailings worldwide through December 15 - with only one exception. According to...July 23, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The Princess Cruises liner Diamond Princess is currently en-route to Malaysia after being docked in Port Yokohama Japan for 3 months. The passenger...May 16, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The US House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure has called for Carnival Corporation to hand over documents related to its response to...May 2, 2020
Former passengers are currently suing Carnival Corporation-owned company Princess Cruises, accusing company's management and staff-crew of knowingly...April 18, 2020
Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr announced on Saturday, March 28, that the Department of Foreign Affairs would repatriate more than 4,000 Filipino...March 28, 2020
The coronavirus quarantine aboard Diamond Princess is officially over for all 2666 passengers. Princess Cruises PR Director Negin Kamali...February 28, 2020
A 4th passenger has died in Japan after becoming ill on a coronavirus-stricken cruise ship, local media revealed on Tuesday, February 25, as the...February 25, 2020
Four passengers have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) in England on Sunday, February 23, after being evacuated from Diamond Princess in...February 23, 2020
- show more news
Other Princess Cruises cruise ships
Diamond Princess Wiki
Princess Cruises Diamond ship is from company's Grand-class vessels, with sistership Sapphire. The other (similarly-designed) liners in this class are Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, Golden (now Pacific Adventure), Grand, Ruby, Star (now Pacific Encounter). Diamond was the first Princess liner built by a Japanese company - MHI. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is a subsidiary company of Mitsubishi Corporation. Unlike the other fleet mates, Diamond has no spoilers at the stern.
Ship's godmother is Yoshiko Tsukuda - wife of MHI's President Kazuo Tsukuda. The christening ceremony was on February 26, 2004. The inaugural cruise (maiden voyage) started on March 13, from Los Angeles to Mexico Riviera.
Fun fact is, that vessel's hull was first named "Sapphire Princess". A shipyard fire damaged the decks of another vessel under construction (already named "Diamond Princess"). Therefore, Sapphire was renamed to Diamond, and completed on time.
Cruise ship's engines can work either with HFO (heavy fuel oil) or with MGO (marine gas oil). MGO emissions are much lower, but it is also rather costly. However, some cruise destinations like Alaska for instance, have very high emission standards and MGO pays off.
In 2017 (April through November) the ship operated on Asian cruises with departures from Japan (homeports Yokohama-Tokyo and Kobe). The itineraries visited South Korea, Taiwan, Russia, China (Hong Kong), Vietnam. Following the 2017 drydock refurbishment (Singapore, March 28 - April 5), Diamond Princess became fleet's 3rd liner (after Royal and Majestic) to feature the company's new livery design.
Ship's Captain is Stefano Ravera - brother of Sapphire Princess' Captain Paolo Ravera.
Diamond Princess refurbishment 2019 review
Ship's last drydock refurbishment in Singapore (14-day project, January 19 - February 2, 2019) was part of the company's USD 450 million fleet-wide renovation project "Come Back New Promise".
Major upgrades included Movies Under The Stars (outdoor theatre updated with 7.1 surround sound), pool deck (new dynamic LED lighting), Princess Casino (new carpeting, TVs, light fixtures), Lotus Spa and Fitness (upgraded treatment rooms and beauty salon, latest Precor fitness equipment). Also were upgraded the digital audio systems in Explorers Lounge, Club Fusion, Princess Theater (show lounge), new furnishings (Horizon Court buffet area). In all public restrooms and all Suites' WCs were added Japanese bidets.
Following the epidemic Coronavirus outbreak in February-March 2020, Diamond Princess completed a Level-3 deep cleaning project (conducted by Belfor USA - recovery and restoration services corporation, 1946-founded). The Yokohama-docked vessel was fully cleaned and disinfected, with the operation being constantly monitored by Japan's Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Following the extensive cleaning, the ship was certified and cleared to leave the country. While in Japan, the liner also entered a wetdock (at a local shipyard) for interior refurbishment (all mattresses, pillows, linens, draperies and curtains were replaced) plus previously scheduled regular maintenance works.
Diamond Princess User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review