Ruby Princess Review and Specifications
Specifications of Ruby Princess
|Year built||2008 / Age : 10|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Monfalcone, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 400 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||289 m / 948 ft|
|Beam (width)||48 m / 157 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||113561 gt|
|Passengers||3060 - 3672|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||TV celebrities (Trista Sutter, Ryan Sutter)|
Current itinerary of Ruby Princess
Ruby Princess current cruise is 7 days, round-trip Classic California Coast. The itinerary starts on 10 Nov, 2018 and ends on 17 Nov, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|10 Nov 16:00||Departing from Los Angeles, Long Beach, California|
|12 Nov 07:00 - 23:00||San Francisco, California|
|13 Nov 07:00 - 18:00||Monterey, California|
|15 Nov 08:00 - 22:00||San Diego, California|
|16 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Ensenada, Baja California Mexico|
|17 Nov||Arriving in Los Angeles, Long Beach, California|
Review of Ruby Princess
History - construction and ownership
Princess Cruises is an US cruise company headquartered in Beverly Hills CA. A former subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises (founded 1977), in 2003, the company merged with Carnival Corporation - world's largest passenger shipping company. Among Princess Cruises assets is the Caribbean private island resort Princess Cays (on Bahamas Eleuthera Island's southern end), located approx 80 km (50 ml) Nassau.
The 113,561-ton, 3,080-passenger cruise ship Ruby Princess follows the highly evolutionary Crown Princess and Emerald Princess cruise ships. The vessels are virtually the same in layout and design, so if travelers have sailed on Crown, they will not have any trouble finding their way around Emerald or Ruby. But for those who have not traveled on Princess' Grand-class vessels, or for cruisers for whom a Ruby Princess sailing is their first cruise with the line, the ship is going to surprise, and in most cases, delight them with far higher levels of kitchen, service and facilities than passengers would expect on a stylish, mega-vessel catering to over 3,000 guests. For the most part, Ruby Princess isn't an innovator. The cruise liner has all the most popular Princess facilities - like the 3-deck Piazza with its own bakery, as well as many of those found on older vessels, including the Sanctuary (adults sundeck) and specialty restaurants Sabatini's and Crown Grill.
Although there are not too many surprises on this newest Grand-class vessel, there are some gentle improvements and enhancements. On the Ruby cruise ship, Princess has expanded the appeal of the Wheelhouse Bar (pub) to include English-inspired lunches. Suite guests have the option to enjoy intimate breakfasts at Sabatini's. The new Ultimate Ship Tour allows guests to explore normally never seen onboard spaces, such as the engine room, funnel, photo lab, Navigation Bridge. Among the expanded enrichment projects are Mixology@Sea (bartending skills) and Navigation@Sea (cruise ship navigation lessons).
Cruise itinerary program
Most Ruby Princess staterooms are 170-sq.foot balcony rooms (680). Almost 80% of ship's outside accommodations have private balcony views. There are a total of 1542 staterooms in 33 categories. 31 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Ruby Princess are the Balcony Suites (400 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Ruby Princess features three dining rooms, all offering tasteful, Caribbean-themed menu. Botticelli is for fixed-seating dining, while Michaelangelo and Da Vinci are for passengers who have chosen "Anytime Dining". Reservations are available, but are not required. Da Vinci also welcomes guests for waiter-service breakfast and lunch. Rotating menu options include soups, appetizers, mains and desserts. There are also signature pastas and choices like Caesar salad and salmon. The healthy Lotus Spa selections are low in sodium and fat. Cafe Caribe and Horizon Court look identical and are open all day long. The Horizon section serves as lido buffet restaurant and features breakfast buffets. Lunch choices may include unusual dishes like peanut butter sandwiches and fried banana. There is also the Italian-styled piazza, around which are located the International Cafe (with its wonderful coffees and scrumptious pastries, quiche and chocolate fondue); across the way is Vines, ship's wine and sushi bar (it's got the only really good wine list onboard Ruby).
In January 2016 Celebrity chef Curtis Stone teamed up with Princess Cruises for his first-at-sea specialty restaurant serving high-quality, inventive food. During Ruby Princess' dry dock, Share replaced the signature Italian Sabatini's, and introduced new bedding, dining options, entertainment and more. Share is only open for dinner and applies a $39 cover charge. Its menu features five areas from which to select multiple dishes and a charcuterie platter. It's hard to order only one of each, as there are enticing recipes like twice-cooked duck with fennel, parmesan crumb and bacon jus; or shrimp salad with turnip, citrus salt, brioche and lemon gel.
Share is only found on board Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess, for now. "Crafted by Curtis" dishes are on the MDR menus fleetwide. If you wonder why to pay extra at Share, here are the cool things about the brand new Curtis Stone restaurant which make it worth the splurge. Food like this cannot be found anywhere else on the ship. Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess are simple when it comes to dining venues. Before Share, both ships had three main dining rooms, a steakhouse and a buffet, all of which average in terms of overall experience and quality. From its celebrity chef to its natural ingredients and perfectly sized portions, you won't find food like Share's anywhere else on the ship.
Perfect for couples and large groups. The space is open, airy and large, with long tables and more intimate seating arrangements. Large groups have enough room to engage and share dishes. Couples can enjoy more peace and quiet. The ambiance is upscale, yet not stuffy. Share's family-style dining and chic decor allow guests to dress their best and still feel relaxed. Passengers will feel more like they're in someone's home, talking and passing plates across the table.
Service at Share is second to none. The wait staff is knowledgeable about the menu and all ingredients handpicked by the celebrity chef's team. According to Stone: "The enthusiasm in that kitchen right now is actually unparalleled to anything I've ever done; they're so energetic and so up for it."
Guests will have room for dessert. Appetizers, entrees and dessert options, complementing a cheese plate, are conservative in size. Passengers will not only expand their palate by picking at multiple dishes, but will also be able to satisfy their sweet tooth.
Follows the complete list of Ruby Princess restaurants and food bars.
- Michaelangelo Restaurant (ship's aft Dining Room; dinner only - offers “Anytime Dining” between 5:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.)
- Crown Grill (160-seat steakhouse/seafood restaurant, reservations recommended; on select days serves British Pub Lunch, complimentary)
- Da Vinci Restaurant (ship's forward Dining Room for Breakfast 7-9 a.m., Lunch 12-1:30 p.m., Afternoon Tea 3:30-4:30 p.m.; features “Anytime Dining” for Dinner between 5:30-8 p.m. or 8-10 p.m.)
- Botticelli Restaurant (dinner only aft Dining Room; with 2 fixed seatings at 6 p.m. or 8:15 p.m.)
- Share (ex-Sabatini’s Italian specialty restaurant; reservations recommended)
- Trident Grill & Prego Pizzeria (self service, complimentary fast food bar)
- Horizon Court (self service buffet restaurant, complimentary)
- Cafe Caribe (aft self service buffet restaurant)
- Pizza & Ice Cream Bar (complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The Princess Ruby Theater is the main venue on Ruby Princess for comedy acts and production shows with a variety of music and selections appealing to a broad mix of ages. Each of the ship's venues has a different offering. Crooners features music trivia contests and a pianist. Explorer's Lounge hosts events for everything from Wii sports tournaments to art auctions, plus comedy shows and magicians. The Piazza offers various demonstrations, circus-lite acts and musical performances throughout the day. Club Fusion is part game show, part nightclub venue. Skywalker Nightclub, Princess' trademark, hosts 70's-, 80's- and 90's-inspired nights and a few nights with a variety of modern music. For low-key dancing, head to the Wheelhouse Bar, which hosts combos playing standards and soft rock.
Follows the complete list of Ruby Princess lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Piazza Atrium (3-deck open floor area; features live performances entertainment and lobby Bar Piazza)
- Princess Fine Arts Gallery; Photo Gallery & Shop; Platinum Studio
- International Cafe (24-hour specialty coffee bar and patisserie); Escapes Travel Cafe (computer room)
- Vines Bar (wine/seafood/sushi bar)
- Library (with Internet stations); Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Princess Ruby Theatre (2-level musical and show productions; hosts workshops, seminars, gameshows)
- Speakeasy Lounge & Bar (smoking lounge and sports bar)
- Calypso Cove Shop; Essence Shop; Meridian Bay Shop; Facets Shop
- Gatsby’s Casino
- Crooners Lounge & Bar (live music; also used for seminars); Adagio Lounge & Bar
- Explorers Lounge & Bar (disco/show lounge; hosts karaoke, comedy, game shows and art auctions)
- Wheelhouse Bar (piano bar during the day and an English pub nightly)
- Club Fusion Lounge (hosts dance classes and quizzes, after 7:30 p.m. becomes Disco & Nightclub)
- Outrigger Bar (poolside bar); Tradewinds Bar
- Ruby’s Lotus Spa complex; Beauty Salon; Fitness Center (with Aerobics Studio)
- Hearts & Minds (Wedding Chapel)
- Movies Under the Stars (LED screen outdoor cinema)
- Video Games Arcade; Teen Center; Youth Center with Paddling Pool and outdoor playing areas
- The Sanctuary (adult-only open air area)
- Calypso Reef & Pool area; Neptune’s Reef & Pool area
- Jogging Track; Center Court (volleyball, basketball, European football); Shuffleboard; Princess Links mini golf course
- Skywalkers Disco Nightclub.
Ruby Princess 2015 refurbishment review
- Two new premium dining venues were added. “SHARE by Curtis Stone” is a family-style restaurant by Curtis Stone (an Australian celebrity chef). Its menu features charcuterie (premium quality meat products), composed salads, homemade pastas, decadent desserts. The new “Salty Dog Gastropub” cuisine experience (by chef Ernesto Uchimura) is provided by a classic pub menu offered nightly in the Wheelhouse Bar (on Promenade Dec 7) with craft beers and pub favorites served in small plates.
- In 2015, aft on Sun Deck 16, “SHARE” replaced "Sabatini’s” – the Italian restaurant, featured on the Princess ships Caribbean, Coral, Emerald and Sun. “SHARE” restaurant debuted on Emerald Princess (in 2015 December). The “Salty Dog Gastropub” debuted on Crown Princess (in 2015 October).
- All cruise cabins were upgraded with the new "Princess Luxury Bed".
- Club Class Mini Suite services and amenities were introduced.
- The ship’s gym was upgraded with new sports equipment and free weights.
Ruby Princess wiki
- The Princess Ruby ship is from the line's last Grand-class vessel. Her sisters are Crown and Emerald. The other Princess ships in this class are Caribbean, Diamond, Golden, Grand, Sapphire, Star.
- Princess Cruises Ruby ship was built at the end of October 2008 and christened by Trista and Ryan Sutter on November 6, 2008 at Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Florida. Trista and Ryan met in the ABC dating show "The Bachelorette", fell in love and got married. The maiden voyage began on the 8th of November from Fort Lauderdale.
- Skywalkers Night Club (the disco on the Ruby ship) is located aft of the funnel. It is not hanging over the stern, the way it is on her sisters of the modified Grand Class (Emerald and Crown), and unlike Diamond and Sapphire, though all ships have similar design.
- Fun fact is that the Ruby cruise ship was the first to offer "The Ultimate Ship Tour". This program allows passengers to have a look at the organization process on board.
Ruby Princess - user reviews and comments
Photos of Ruby PrincessAdd Photo
Ruby Princess ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Haines was not due to have any cruise ships in port today. But, due to high winds forecast in Northern Lynn Canal, around 3,000 extra visitors are...August 7, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises announced its 4th Culinary Cruise featuring popular food journalist Bill Esparza. The new culinary trip sails the west coast...February 19, 2018
The DVIDS (Defense Imagery Distribution System) reported that the U.S Coast Guard (USCG) has medevaced a 47-year-old crew member from Ruby Princess...September 25, 2016
- show more news
Other Princess Cruises cruise ships
Ruby Princess Itineraries
The below listed Ruby Princess cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Princess Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Nov 10||7 days, round-trip Classic California Coast||Los Angeles|
|2018 Nov 17||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles|
|2018 Nov 24||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$678|
|2018 Dec 01||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$648|
|2018 Dec 08||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$518|
|2018 Dec 15||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$539|
|2018 Dec 22||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$1119|
|2018 Dec 29||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$861|
|2019 Jan 05||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$679|
|2019 Jan 12||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$649|
|2019 Jan 19||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$669|
|2019 Jan 26||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$549|
|2019 Feb 02||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera||Los Angeles||$569|
|2019 Feb 09||5 days, round-trip Cabo San Lucas Getaway||Los Angeles||$499|
|2019 Feb 14||4 days, round-trip West Coast Getaway with Santa Barbara||Los Angeles||$899|
|2019 Feb 18||10 days, round-trip Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez||Los Angeles||$1199|
|2019 Feb 28||5 days, round-trip Cabo San Lucas Getaway||Los Angeles||$426|
|2019 Mar 05||5 days, round-trip Cabo San Lucas Getaway||Los Angeles||$539|
|2019 Mar 10||7 days, round-trip Classic California Coast||Los Angeles||$679|
|2019 Mar 17||7 days, round-trip Classic California Coast||Los Angeles||$699|
|2019 Mar 24||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1499|
|2019 Apr 08||15 days, round-trip Hawaiian Islands||Los Angeles||$1549|
|2019 Apr 23||12 days, round-trip Inside Passage (Roundtrip Los Angeles with Glacier Bay)||Los Angeles||$1349|
|2019 May 05||5 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Vancouver||Los Angeles||$499|
|2019 May 10||1 day, one-way from Vancouver to Seattle||Vancouver||$99|
|2019 May 11||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1029|
|2019 May 18||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1049|
|2019 May 25||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1079|
|2019 Jun 01||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1099|
|2019 Jun 08||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1129|
|2019 Jun 15||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1279|
|2019 Jun 22||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1229|
|2019 Jun 29||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1229|
|2019 Jul 06||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1229|
|2019 Jul 13||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1299|
|2019 Jul 20||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1259|
|2019 Jul 27||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1229|
|2019 Aug 03||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1179|
|2019 Aug 10||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1219|
|2019 Aug 17||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1099|
|2019 Aug 24||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1099|
|2019 Aug 31||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1029|
|2019 Sep 07||7 days, round-trip Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)||Seattle||$1079|
|2019 Sep 14||7 days, one-way from Seattle to Vancouver||Seattle||$949|
|2019 Sep 21||32 days, one-way from Vancouver to Sydney||Vancouver||$3589|
|2019 Sep 21||24 days, one-way from Vancouver to Auckland||Vancouver||$2669|
|2019 Sep 21||3 days, one-way from Vancouver to Los Angeles||Vancouver||$299|
|2019 Sep 24||29 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Sydney||Los Angeles||$3419|
|2019 Sep 24||21 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Auckland||Los Angeles||$2499|
|2019 Oct 15||8 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$969|
|2019 Oct 23||10 days, round-trip Queensland||Sydney||$1129|
|2019 Nov 02||6 days, round-trip Tasmania||Sydney||$799|
|2019 Nov 08||14 days, round-trip Fiji||Sydney||$1459|
|2019 Nov 22||13 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1429|
|2019 Dec 05||8 days, round-trip New Caledonia & Vanuatu||Sydney||$919|
|2019 Dec 13||14 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$1959|
|2019 Dec 27||3 days, round-trip New Zealand Getaway||Auckland||$369|
|2019 Dec 30||14 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$2059|
|2020 Jan 13||14 days, round-trip Fiji||Sydney||$1609|
|2020 Jan 27||12 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1359|
|2020 Feb 08||3 days, round-trip Australia Getaway||Sydney||$349|
|2020 Feb 11||13 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1419|
|2020 Feb 24||13 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1419|
|2020 Mar 08||13 days, round-trip New Zealand||Sydney||$1419|
|2020 Mar 21||14 days, round-trip Fiji||Sydney||$1499|
|2020 Apr 04||34 days, one-way from Sydney to Vancouver||Sydney||$4049|
|2020 Apr 04||28 days, one-way from Sydney to Los Angeles||Sydney||$3389|
|2020 Apr 04||8 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$969|
|2020 Apr 12||26 days, one-way from Auckland to Vancouver||Auckland||$3129|
|2020 Apr 12||20 days, one-way from Auckland to Los Angeles||Auckland||$2489|
|2020 May 02||6 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Vancouver||Los Angeles||$739|