40 °F / 5 °C
New Plymouth is a port city in New Zealand, located on North Island (Taranaki region). The city has population around 80,000.
- New Plymouth is located at the western extremity of North island (NZ). The region's dominating feature is Mt Taranaki (Egmont) - a symmetrical volcanic cone of 2518 m (8261 ft). The city is best known for its close proximity to the mountain - within just 30 min drive. This destination is very popular among both locals and tourists to New Plymouth as here they can enjoy as same day activities hiking, skiing, snowboarding, water skiing and surfing.
- The city is named after Plymouth (England UK) from where the British settlers once migrated. The same-named District includes the city plus several smaller towns. New Plymouth District is NZ's 10th largest and has around 1,7% of the country's population.
- Dairy products is the main produce from the area. Other features include the splendid Pukekura Park with 21 ha of gardens, lakes and streams; Brooklands Park with an outdoor theatre; Barrett Domain with a wonderful stand of kauri; as well as the world-famous Bird Sanctuary and Pukeiti Rhododendron Trust Park.
- Behind the port of New Plymouth was a hill named Pukeariki that was a burial place for principal chiefs of the region. The first European settlers in the area were whalers and they established themselves in 1828 at Ngamotu Beach. Subsequent settlement emerged in 1841 when Plymouth Company (subsidiary of New Zealand Company) laid out the town.
- Next to the foreshore is Puke Ariki – the first in the world purpose-built, fully integrated museum, library & information centre. Nearby is the contemporary art museum Len Lye Centre which includes a purpose-built centre next to the gallery housing the collection of kinetic artist and film maker Len Lye. It opened in 2015 and made New Plymouth a world centre for Len Lye. The museum is the world's first to be dedicated to one person.
- Coastal Walkway is a 13-kilometre path which forms an expansive promenade stretching almost the entire length of New Plymouth, from Bell Block mouth to Port Taranaki. The pathway includes Te Rewa Rewa Bridge and is best for walking, running, skating and cycling. It has won many awards, including 2008 Cycle Friendly Award for the best cycle facility in New Zealand.
Port New Plymouth cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from New Plymouth, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|30 December, 2020|
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises revealed that it will be adding the boutique Pacific Princess to the already extensive list of vessels, homeporting in Australia for...July 4, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Luxury cruise brand Cunard Line announced their Oceans of Discovery cruise program for November 2020-May 2021, which features Full World Voyages...March 5, 2019
- show more news