62 °F / 17 °C
Nightingale Island is an active volcanic island in the South Atlantic Ocean, with total area of approx 3 km2 (1 ml2). Nightingale is one of the British Overseas Territories ("Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha" dependency). Saint Helena is UK's 2nd-oldest dependency (overseas territory) after Bermuda. In the group of Nightingale Islands are also Middle Island and Stoltenhoff Island. All the three are uninhabited, but regularly visited for scientific research.
- On its northern end, Nightingale Island has two peaks with heights 337 m (1106 ft) and 293 m (961 ft). The rest of the island is ringed by cliffs, but not as high as those surrounding Inaccessible Island, which is approx 16 km (10 ml) away and has cliffs approx 300 m (984 ft) high.
- The isle is a former volcano composed of both early and late stage ash deposits. Last erruptions with lava flows may have been over 39,000 years ago.
- The island is surrounded by large amounts of kelp (large brown seaweeds), making it difficult to anchor ships in bad weather.
- The neighbouring islands Gough and Inaccessible are nature reserves and tourism is not permitted. Unlike them, Nightingale Island is open for tourism, many of whom arrive from to Tristan da Cunha just to visit Nightingale for wildlife viewing. Part of the fees paid by international tourists traveling to Nightingale on guided tours go for conservation works.
- Once per year, journalists and filmmakers are permitted to work on the island for a fee, but are not allowed to interfere with islanders' private lives.
Port Nightingale Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Nightingale Island, St Helena UK. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|13 March, 2020|
The Nightingale Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Nightingale Island, St Helena UK.
If you lose the Nightingale Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.