Palmerston Island (Cook Islands, New Zealand) is a coral atoll located approx 500 km (310 mi) northwest of Rarotonga Island (Cook Islands most populous). The atoll was discovered in 1774 and named in 1777 by Captain James Cook (1728-1779, British Royal Navy officer, explorer and cartographer). Palmerston Island became part of the British Empire () in 1891 and part of New Zealand in 1901.
Like most coral atolls, the island encloses a beautiful lagoon and has total land area approx 2,6 km2 (1 mi2). Lagoon's width is approx 11 km (7 mi) and has water area 56 km2 (22 mi2). The lagoon can be entered by boats via several passages.
Island's scenery is marked by scenic islets covered mainly with coconut palms. Most drinking water is captured from rainfall. Palmerston's population is under 100. Like all Cook Islands, its economy is based on tourism, fishing, copra (dried coconut meat). The island is visited mainly by cargo ships, mega-yachts and small-sized cruise ships.