78 °F / 26 °C
Pentecost Island is among the 83 islands making up the South Pacific country Vanuatu. The island covers a total area of approx 490 km2 (190 ml2) and has population around 17,000. Pentecost is located approx 190 km (120 ml) north of the capital Port Vila (Efate Island). The island was also known by the names Pentecote, Vanu Aroaroa, Araga, Raga, Whitsuntide.
- Pentecost has no real towns. Most islanders live in tiny rural villages and survive by growing cash crops and subsistence agriculture. Taro, which is a root vegetable suited to the wet climate of Pentecost, is the staple food. Island's houses are traditionally built from local wood and bamboo, thatched with natanggura leaves (a variety of palm). Wealthier islanders build their houses instead of using imported corrugated metal and cement.
- The island is served by 2 airports - Sara (in the north) and Lonorore (southwest), with regularly scheduled weekly flights by small airplanes (landing 2-3 times per week). Lonorore was upgraded with a new tarmack airstrip in 2008-2009, capable of handling bigger aircraft and in wet conditions.
- Cargo ships navigating between Luganville (Espiritu Santo) and Port Vila supply the Pentecost Island, but mainly the west coast as only few vessels call at the east coast, where the population is sparse and sea conditions are rough.
- A rutted dirt road runs from island's north to the south-west, and another road links Salap located in the south-west to Ranwas which is in the south-east. However, a lot of villages are accessible only via mountain footpaths.
- Pentecost receives regular calls from sail boats and yachts anchoring at the villages Panngi, Loltong and Waterfall. Panngi has a jetty where cruise liners can dock.
Pentecost Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Pentecost Island dock (anchor) at Panngi port (on the western coast).
Port Pentecost Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Pentecost Island, Vanuatu. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|8 June, 2019|
The Pentecost Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Pentecost Island, Vanuatu.
If you lose the Pentecost Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
From today, March 15, 2019, the general sale of the Expedition World Cruise 2021 of Silversea is open. Unlocking a selection of travel experiences in...March 15, 2019
- show more news