In 1542, during the Osman Turks invasions, the islet was protected by towers and walls. A draw bridge connected the island to mainland. When the Turks retreated, it was replaced by a causeway. In 1564 the settlement was named Primosten ("primostiti" meaning "to bridge").
The town is famous for its huge vineyards and the traditional annual donkey race (held here in the summer). Part of the largest beach (Raduca) is Mala Raduca - ranked among Croatia's top 10 best beaches.