Sal Island is one of Barlavento group's Cape Verde Islands. It is located close to Boa Vista Island (to the south) and Sao Nicolau Island (to the west). On Sal Island is Amílcar Cabral Airport, which is country's main / international airport.
- Sal Island has total population around 35,000, land area approx 216 km2 (83 ml2), length 35 km (22 ml), width 12 km (8 ml) and highest elevation point (Monte Vermelho) 406 m / 1332 ft above sea level.
- The island was discovered by the Portuguese in 1460, and initially named "Llana". In the 18th century was renamed to "Sal" after salt deposits were found at Pedra de Lume (northeastern part).
- The island remained uninhabited until early-19th century, when two lighthouses were constructed at its extreme points. In 1830 was founded the capital town Santa Maria (in the south).
- Until 1887, most of the quarried here salt was exported to Brazil. Salt production was active until 1984.
- In 1939, Italy started the construction of an airport on the island, but its building was halted during WW2 (1939-1945). Later the airport was bought by Portugal and finished in 1949. Aircrafts between Italy and South America used the airport for refueling. Northeast of the airport was settled a village (named Preguiça) - the first settlement on the island. later was founded Espargos (current population around 17,000) as the island's capital and commercial center.
- Palmeira is a small town (population around 1,500) and the island's main port, located approx 4 km (2,5 ml) west of Espargos.
Sal Island cruise terminal
Most Cruise ships to Sal Island Cabo Verde dock (anchor) at Palmeira - port town on the northwestern coast. Some ships may also dock at Santa Maria - port town on the island's southern coast.
Port Sal Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Sal Island, Palmeira, Cape Verde. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|2 April, 2021|