40 °F / 5 °C
Sanday Island is one of the inhabited Orkney islands, located off the north coast of mainland Scotland. The island covers a total area of approx 50 km2 (20 ml2) and has population around 500.
- Isle of Sanday is Orkney Islands' 3rd largest, and has as main urban centres Kettletoft and Lady Village. The Norse named it "Sandey" ("Sand-oy") due to its numerous sandy beaches.
- Start Point lighthouse (completed in 1806) was Scotland's first lighthouse with revolving light. In 1962, the lighthouse was automated and is now powered by 36 solar panels.
- The island has two golf courses - Sanday Golf Club (9-hole course sized 2600 yards / 2377 m) and Peedie Golf Course (1-hole meadowland sized 57 yards / 52 m, ranked Scotland's shortest golf course).
- Three wind turbines (total capacity 8,25 MW) were installed in 2004 by SSE (Scottish and Southern Energy) at Spurness.
- Otters and seals are found in/around Sanday Island. The marine coast around the east of Sanday is designated Special Protection Area for its machair habitats (low-lying grassy plain) and sand dune.
- Isle of Sanday can be reached by plane from Kirkwall (Orkney Mainland) or by ferry ships run by Orkney Ferries (company with inter-island services in Orkney Islands).
Sanday Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Sanday Island dock (anchor) at Broughtown on the north-western coast.