Savannah is a major cargo port in Georgia USA, as well as the state's oldest city. Founded in 1733 on Savannah River, the city became the British colonial capital of Georgia Province. The city has population around 150,000 (metro around 385,000), ranking it the state's 5th-largest city and 3rd-largest metro area.
Savannah GA was a strategic seaport during the American Revolution (1765-1783) and the American Civil War (1861-1865). The city covers an area of approx 282 km2 (109 ml2), of which 267 km2 (103 ml2) land and 15 km2 (6 ml2) water (or around 5%).
An industrial center and a major Atlantic seaport, the city attracts each year millions of tourists with its parks, cobblestone streets and notable historic buildings. Among the most popular tourist sites are Georgia Historical Society, Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences (one of Southern USA's first public museums), First African Baptist Church (among the USA's oldest congregations), Temple Mickve Israel (America's 3rd oldest synagogue), Central of Georgia Railway complex (America's oldest standing antebellum rail facility), the birthplace of Juliette Low (founder of US Girl Scouts).
Downtown Savannah features Savannah Historic District, Victorian Historic District, as well as 22 park-like squares. The city's historic area retains its original design (known as "Oglethorpe Plan").
Port Savannah GA
The port is on Savannah River, approx 29 km (18 ml) upstream from the Atlantic Ocean. It is the river's primary port and Georgia's largest cargo port. Ogeechee River flows toward the ocean approx 26 km (16 ml) south of downtown Savannah, forming the city's southern limit.
The port has facilities serving oceangoing vessels (mainly bukl-cargo and container ships), managed by Georgia Ports Authority (GPA). Port Savannah has the following terminal facilities:
- Garden City Terminal is a dedicated container ship terminal, ranked the largest on the US Atlantic and Gulf coasts. The terminal covers a land area of 1200 acres (5 km2) and has berthing capacity 2955 m (9693 ft) continuous quay and over 120,000 m2 (1,3 million ft2) of covered storage space. Garden City Terminal is served by 15 high-speed gantry cranes (of which 4 super post-panamax and 11 post-panamax).
- Ocean Terminal is a dedicated breakbulk cargo port facility specializing in handling of various bulk cargoes (forest and solid wood products, steel), as well as RoRo (vehicle carriers) and heavy-lift cargoes. The terminal covers an area of 208 acres (0,8 km2) and has berthing capacity 2039 m (6688 ft) deepwater berthing with approx 140,000 m2 (1,5 million) of covered storage space plus 390,000 m2 (96 acres ) of open storage.
- Target Corporation Facility is a privately owned import warehouse. It is sized 45,900 acres (2 million ft2) and located at Savannah River International Trade Park, approx 6 km (4 ml) from Garden City Terminal. The warehouse was inaugurated in June 2007, and handles overseas cargo.
- IKEA Facility is a 2007-opened IKEA distribution center. It covers an area of 160,000 m2 (1,7 million f2) and is located at Savannah River International Trade Park.
- Heineken USA Facility is a 2008-opened Heineken distribution center will annual capacity around 4000 TEUs (7 million beerr cases per year). Its cargo is shipped from the company's breweries in Holland.
- Savannah Port Terminal Railroad (SAPT) was inaugurated in 1998 and links the port to Genesee and Wyoming railroad. The railroad has length of approx 37 km (23 ml) and is owned by Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
- In the period 2000-2005, Savannah was USA's fastest-growing seaport, with an annual growth rate of 16,5% (while the USA's average was 9,7%).
- Shipping traffic stats showed that in the period 2003-2007, the container traffic increased 55% - from 1,5 million to 2,3 million TEUs.
- In 2014, the port's container traffic was over 3 million TEUs.
- In FY07 (fiscal year 2007), the port had a record year, becoming the USA's 4th-busiest container cargo port with handled over 2,3 million TEUs / containers (or 14,5% increase over 2006).
- In April 2007, Maersk Line added the port to its MECL2 service - now with 5 container shipping services calling on Savannah and linking USA with India (directly from Chennai-Madras), Middle East and Europe (Mediterranean).
- In June 2007, APL Lines started 2 new container shipping services to Savannah - one via Suez Canal and one via Panama Canal. The weekly Suez Express service links Georgia with India and Southeast Asia, starting and enging with Singapore. The weekly East Coast Savannah Express links Georgia with China, starting and ending with Ningbo.
- In October 2017, the port reported a record month shipping volume of 410,000 TEUs (handled at Garden City Terminal), which was an increase of 32% (nearly 100,000 TEUs) over September 2017. For FY17 (fiscal year 2017), the port handled 1,42 million TEUs (12,3% increase over FY16).
- Port Savannah is US East Coast's largest port in trade volumes of wood pulp, poultry, kaolin clay, raw cotton, paper, paperboard, logs, lumber.
- In 2017, the port handled over 4 million TEUs (11% increase over its highest ever annual container shipping volume). In December alone, the port handled 323,000 TEUs (10,6% increase over Dec 2016, aslo reported as the port's ever busiest month). Of December's 323,117 TEUs, export containers were ~52% (imports, respectively, 48%). December's TEU cargo increased by 310,654 tons (to 2,48 million, or 14,3% increase over Dec 2016). Total container tonnage was 30,04 million, of which 52,6% export (47,4% import).
- Ports's total handled cargo shipping trade volume for 2017 was 35 million tons (12% increase).
- In October 2018, Port Savannah reported a record container cargo volume - 413,800 TEUs, with containerized trade increase 8% (over July-Oct. 2017), totaling 1,53 million TEUs. Intermodal rail cargo monthly volume grew 8,7%. Ocean Terminal increased breakbulk cargo monthly trade by 25,8% (totaling 126,165 tons).
Port Savannah's container cranes are 30, with 6 more scheduled for delivery in 2020. This ranks the port USA's largest by ship-to-shore fleet.
- In the end of March 2018 was installed the 1st of all 10 new, Finland-made Neo-Panamax cranes. These gantry cranes are tall enough to lift TEU containers up to 152 ft / 46 m above dock, and reach across ships up to 22 containers wide. Each crane is fitted with integral generators, generating energy while containers are lowered. The generated power allows 18 min "free electricity" operations per work hour.
- Designed and produced by the Finnish manufacturer Konecranes, these super-sized cranes can serve the world's largest boxships calling East Coast USA.
- The first 4 of the 10 new gantry cranes were installed on Garden City Terminal - among the world's largest single container terminals. Port's 36-crane fleet allows moving nearly 1300 TEUs per hour on a single dock.
Savannah cruise terminal
Cruise ships in Savannah GA dock at the quay alongside River Street. The terminal is located within easy walking distance from all the city's major tourist attractions. However, as cruise port, Savannah serves mainly riverboats, and predominantly - from the fleet of American Cruise Lines.
Port Savannah cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Savannah, Georgia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|20 November, 2018|
|27 November, 2018|
The Savannah cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Savannah, Georgia.
If you lose the Savannah location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.