Uwajima is a port city located in Ehime Prefecture, Japan. The city covers a total area of approx 469,48 km2 (181,27 ml2) and has a population of around 86,630 people (2010 census).
- Itajima Village occupied the area of today's Uwajima in 1595. Takatora Tohdo became lord of Uwa region, and ordered Marugushi Castle's restoration. The city was established by the merger of parts of former Kitauwa District and the city of Uwajima.
- After in 1614 Date Hidemune, who was the eldest son of the prominent lord in northern Japan Date Masamune, took over Uwa, the clan promoted Uwajima Castle as the center of education, culture and industry.
- Uwa became Prefecture of Uwajima in 1871. The next year it was renamed to Kamiyama Prefecture, which in 1873 was merged with Ishizuchi Prefecture. The capital was moved to the north, to Matsuyama, after Ehime Prefecture was founded.
- Date Family Museum in Uwajima features a lot of historically important objects that are tied to the history of the region and Daimyo family Date who ruled the area.
- Uwajima Castle is popular as one of the twelve Japanese castles to feature an original donjon constructed in the Edo Period.
- The city of Uwajima homes an unusual fertility shrine named Taga Shrine, featuring a realistic phallus carved from a 9-feet long log. Next to the shrine is located a graphic sex museum with paintings and artifacts from around the world.
- A festival popular as "Gaiya Festival", "Warei Shrine Festival" or Uwajima Ushi-oni Festival, is held in Uwajima every July. Among the festivities are a bullfight, a dance contest to the song of the city known as "Gaiya" dance, and ushioni teams parading down the street. The word "Gaiya", which is in a local dialect, translates to "awesome" in English.
Port Uwajima cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Uwajima, Japan. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
The Uwajima cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Uwajima, Japan.
If you lose the Uwajima location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.