40 °F / 5 °C
Yevpatoriya is a Black Sea port and city on Crimea Peninsula, with a population of around 105,000. Since 2014, the city is part of the Russian Federation (Republic of Crimea). The other major Russian Crimea ports are Sevastopol, Yalta, Feodosia, Kerch.
The first settlement (Kerkinitis) was established as a Greek colony around 500 BC. In the 7th-10th century, Eupatoria was ruled by Khazars, later by Cumans, Mongols and Crimean Khanate (1449–1783, Tatar-Ottoman Turks). In 1783, the entire Crimea was added to the Russian Empire. During USSR times, in the city were built and operated 78 sanatoriums with total capacity 33,000 beds. Among the best-known city attractions are Lake Moynaki, Golden Beach, Juma-Jami Mosque (early 16th century), Eupatorian Kenassas (early-19th century temple complex).
Yevpatoriya is a major seaport, rail hub, and resort town, which during summer months is visited by thousands of domestic tourists coming for beach recreation. City's main industries are commercial fishing, food processing, winemaking, quarrying (limestone), weaving, building materials, manufacturing (machinery, furniture), engineering and electronics, aircraft construction and repair, tourism.