Sanary-sur-Mer is a commune located in Var department in Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region, southeastern France. The commune covers a total area of approx 19,24 km2 (7,43 ml2) and has population around 17,070 people (2008 census).
- Sanary-sur-Mer lies on the Mediterranean, 13 km (8,1 ml) from Toulon and 49 km (30 ml) from Marseille. It can be reached by TGV train from Paris in less than 4 hours. During high season there are direct flights to Toulon from Oslo, Brussels, Rotterdam and London.
- The seafront location was part of Ollioules commune. During the 16th century a fishing village was established here, clustered around medieval watchtower, under protection of "Sanct Nazari" of Lerins Abbey.
- Sanary-sur-Mer port was built and the harbor deepened during the middle of the 16th century. As a tourist rendezvous, the settlement underwent a strong decade of development in the 1980s.
- Sanary boasts a beautiful coast line with tiny beaches. Unlike most Mediterranean small towns, it is active village all year round and is probably the sunniest French place, with an average of just 61 rainy days, mostly in winter.
- The regular Mistral, a strong wind that comes from Rhone Valley, brings low humidity of about 20%, and gusts up to 81 mph (130 km/h), cool temperatures, deep blue skies and sun. Strong wind makes Sanary-sur-Mer a favorite destination for windsurfers.
- Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Pitié is one of the main sights: from this chapel created in 1560 the visitors see a broad view over Sanary's bay.
- Jacques Cousteau (1910-1997) had a house in the commune, named Villa Baobab. He was an inventor of deep sea diving equipment, which he created and developed around Sanary. Frederic Dumas International Diving Museum is in the 13th-century Romanesque tower that was made available by the municipality. Frederic Dumas (1913-1991) was a co-inventor of the aqua-lung, together with Cousteau.
Highlights: Fishing village
The Sanary-sur-Mer cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Sanary-sur-Mer, France Riviera.
If you lose the Sanary-sur-Mer location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Sanary-sur-Mer cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Sanary-sur-Mer, France Riviera. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
24 April, 2017