Wismar is a Baltic Sea cruise port located in Germany's Mecklenburg-Vorpommern state, some 45 km (28 ml) east of Lubeck. The city covers a total area of approx 41,36 km2 (15,97 ml2) and has population of around 43,000 people (2015 census).
- During the period of the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (German Democratic Republic), from 1949-1990, Wismar city was developed as a shipbuilding settlement and port, becoming East Germany's 2nd-largest port, after Rostock. Nordic Yards Wismar is a famous shipbuilder located in Wismar. Shipbuilding has existed at the site since 1946.
- Wismar port has a natural harbour (protected by a promontory / raised land mass) in the Bay of Wismar. Since 2002, the town is on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Site. Among its landmarks and attractions are the Old Town's Market Place, the Wasserkunst (Holland-made fountain), Town Hall (built in the 18th century), Burgerhaus (13th century home building), St George's Church (14th century), Marienkirche (13th century church), Nikolaikirche (14 century church), Furstenhof (ducal residence palace), Baumhaus (art gallery).
- The large Market Place, in the centre of the old town, is one of the biggest in northern Germany (10,000 m2), surrounded by elegant buildings in styles that range from North German Gothic to Romanesque revival to Art Nouveau. The focal point of the square is Wasserkunst, a wrought-iron fountain that was imported from Holland (1602). Square's northern side is occupied by the Town Hall. It was built in 1817–1819 in neoclassical style. Another notable building is a Brick Gothic Burgerhaus (patrician's home) named Alter Schwede (The Old Swede), created around 1380.
- The church of Saint Nicholas (Nikolaikirche), built between 1381 and 1460, with lofty vaulting, along with the Marienkirche, is regarded as a good example of the influence exercised in the northern provinces by the large church of Saint Mary in Lubeck.
- The town hall, which was rebuilt in 1829, has a collection of pictures. The Municipal Gallery "Baumhaus" is the main gallery for fine arts, located in Wismar's old harbour area.
Highlights: Medieval town centre
The Wismar cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Wismar, Germany.
If you lose the Wismar location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Wismar cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Wismar, Germany. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
11 May, 2017
During a recent staff meeting held in Germany, Genting Hong Kong revealed that the three shipyards in the German State Mecklenburg-Vorpommern...July 14, 2016
Genting Hong Kong revealed the completion of the acquisition of Nordic Yards’ three shipyards in Stralsund, Wismar and ...April 28, 2016
Genting Hong Kong announced the acquisition of Nordic Yards’ 3 shipyards in Stralsund, Wismar and Warnemunde, Germany for €230.6...March 2, 2016
Cruise and Maritime Voyages' ms Marco Polo is celebrating its half century with a couple of 50th anniversary voyages this summer. When CMV ...June 11, 2015
- show more news