Alghero is a port town in Mediterranean Sea. It is located on Italy's Sardinia Island and in Sassari (an Italian insular province in the island's northwestern part). Alghero has population around 44,000, part of which descends from Catalan conquerors from the end of Middle Ages. Back then, Sardinia Island was part of the Kingdom of Aragon. That is why Catalan language is co-official in the town (unique in Italy), taking the name of algueres dialect. The city name itself comes from the medieval Latin word Aleguerium, which means stagnation of algae (Posidonia oceanica - seagrass species endemic to the Mediterranean Sea).
Alghero is the 5th university center in the island, following Cagliari and Sassari. It hosts the headquarters of Universita degli Studi di Sassari’s Architecture and Design department. Alghero was the 10th most visited city by tourists in Italy in 2012.
Alghero has a total area of 224.43 km2 (86.65 ml2). The area of today's town has been settled since pre-historic times. Ozieri culture was present during the 4th millennium BC (Necropolis of Anghelu Ruju), and Nuraghe civilization settled here around 1,500 BC. Historically, the city of Alghero was founded in the early 12th century between 1102-1112, when the aristocratic Doria family of Genoa was permitted to build the first ever historical nucleus into the empty coast of Nulauro parish in Judicature of Torres (Sassari). It's uncertain whether it was some prior settlement, probably linked to the events of Saracen invasions.
The many historical dominances that occurred in Alghero have produced a wide variety of buildings, monuments and sights. From the Neolithic period with many settlements that still remain, up to nowadays, during the last decades the town has become a major tourist point not only due to its coast and natural beauty but also because of a well preserved patrimony.
There is a fishing and pleasure port in the heart of Alghero. Passenger traffic is handled via Porto Torres, some 30 km (18,6 ml) north. From there, ferry services are offered to Barcelona, Civitavecchia and Genoa.