Silver Shadow Review and Specifications
Specifications of Silver Shadow
|Year built||2000 / Age : 18|
|Builder||T. Mariotti (Genoa, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 150 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL) & Lefebvre Family (Rome, Italy)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||186 m / 610 ft|
|Beam (width)||24 m / 79 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||28258 gt|
|Passengers||388 - 466|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Christened by||Janet Burke|
Current itinerary of Silver Shadow
Silver Shadow current cruise is 14 days, one-way from Laem Chabang to Singapore. The itinerary starts on 08 Dec, 2018 and ends on 22 Dec, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|08 Dec||Departing from Laem Chabang, Bangkok, Thailand|
|10 Dec 12:00 - 11 Dec 18:00||Sihanoukville, Cambodia|
|14 Dec 08:00 - 15 Dec 14:00||Da Nang, Hue, Vietnam|
|16 Dec 08:00 - 18:00||Quy Nhon, Vietnam|
|17 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Nha Trang, Vietnam|
|18 Dec 12:00 - 20 Dec 14:00||Phu My, Ho Chi Minh City-Saigon, Vietnam|
|22 Dec 08:00||Arriving in Singapore|
Review of Silver Shadow
Launched in 2000, MS Silver Shadow cruise ship is the third vessel owned by Silversea Cruises, preceded by the fleetmates Silver Cloud (1994) and Silver Wind (1995), and followed by the sister ship Silver Whisper (2001).
History - construction and ownership
Silversea Cruises is a Monaco-based privately owned luxury cruise line. It was established in 1994 by a joint venture of V-Ships, Monaco (known previously as Vlasov Group) and the Lefebvre family of Italy (Rome). Silversea pioneered all-inclusive cruising with the launch of its first ship, Silver Cloud. As of early 2014, Silversea Cruises owns eight boutique cruise vessels, each carrying only 100 to 540 guests. The business model of Silversea is to operate cruise ships in the small, ultra-luxury, all-suite category. The new all inclusive fares of the line offer such features as beverages (including selected wines), gratuities (none are allowed), travel insurance, port charges and one or more complimentary shore excursions in every itinerary.
The 28,258-ton, 388-passenger cruise ship Silver Shadow is a successor of Silver Cloud and Silver Wind. The difference between ms Silver Shadow and her two predecessors in the line’s fleet, is only in size. Silversea Cruises reputation for quality, established with the first two ships, today is carried on. In configuration and shape Shadow, and her twin-sister Whisper, are simply bigger and newer versions of the first Silversea vessels. You may find a number of younger, in their mid-40’s passengers onboard Silver Shadow, but generally guests are around their 60’s and over. Travellers on the Shadow ship are loyal to Silversea and well heeled.
Cruise itinerary program
Silver Shadow itinerary program is based on exotic, “all inclusive luxury” cruises in the regions of Alaska (with departures from Vancouver), Asia (from Hong Kong and Singapore), South America (Antarctica voyages from Chile and Argentina), Caribbean (out of Fort Lauderdale).
Silver Shadow is all-suite with a total of 194 cabins (4 connecting, 2 wheelchair-accessible) in 11 grades. The smallest Vista Suites measure 287 sq.ft., and next are Verandah Suites with 345 sq.ft., Medallion Suites (521 sq.ft.), Silver Suites (701 sq.ft.), Royal Suites (of which one is at 1,312 sq.ft., and another at 1,352 sq.ft.) and Grand Suites (one is 1,409 sq.ft., another – 1,435 sq.ft.) – quite awesome array of accommodations. Almost all suites are balconied, but in some instances guests share an unfurnished narrow balcony.
All rooms provide walk-in closets, sitting area, dressing table with good lighting and hair dryer, double basin in Italian marble, separate shower and full bathtub, refrigerator with a bottle of wine, beer and soft drinks, satellite television, VCR unit, a safe. Bathroom amenities are offered by Bvlgari with Frette Italian linens. Beds are convertible. Flowers and fresh fruit are always on the table.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
No matter where you choose to eat on Silver Shadow – in main dining room (The Restaurant), Terrace Cafe, or in the intimate Le Champagne dinner room, the ship’s cuisine is of highest quality. You will not be disappointed at the Bar, cigar club by Davidoff, wine and champagne bars. Silver Shadow gratuity is nor required, neither expected as Silversea crew is paid above industry average.
Follows the complete list of Silver Shadow restaurants and food bars.
- The Restaurant (open-seating dining room with top-quality gourmet cuisine; features mostly Mediterranean themed meals, and always available standard menu with daily specials; all three meals are waiter-served and a la carte)
- Le Champagne (20-seat French cuisine specialty restaurant; offers signature dishes by Relais Chateaux; dinner-only; reservations-only)
- La Terrazza (Terrace Cafe; complimentary buffet-style restaurant, offers both indoor seating and an alfresco terrace; wine is complimentary; there is also Afternoon Tea service; La Terrazza transforms each evening between 7:00 and 9:30 pm, into an Italian specialty restaurant, reservations-only, with a la carte menu)
- Pool Bar & Pool Grill (serve ship's pool deck area with fast food and drinks during the day; in the evening, the outdoor area becomes an al fresco dining venue with classic seafood and steakhouse choices, plus vegetarian and healthy selections)
- The Grill (offers gourmet dining under the stars with signature meals including lava-rocks grilled meat, seafood, Mediterranean vegetables, baked potatoes, salad of the day; wines are complimentary, except the premium ones from the Connoisseur’s Wine List; The Grill implements the line’s interactive dining concept “Black Rock Grill Experience”, which allows guests to cook their own meat and seafood).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Silver Shadow is not the ship to be considered fitness-oriented. Her passengers tend to be older and more sedentary than the ones on other ships in the market, but a number of opportunities to keep fit are available. Swimmers can use the outdoor saltwater pool, two whirlpools and two outdoor showers. There are also men’s and ladies’ steam rooms and saunas. Don’t forget the poolside grill and bar. The fitness center is small but with interesting features – an example is the aquaswim pool, allowing passengers to swim against tide, great exercise for getting fit. Cycle and weight equipment are standard fare, and also effective for people who want to be in good shape. There is a small outdoor artificial turf jogging track nearby.
The Shadow’s Mandara Spa offers every imaginable treatment, from simple manicure to Indian scalp massage. Some of the treatments’ names are most appealing and it takes two therapists in unison to work on different body parts, in order to provide “Ultimate Indulgence”. A massage of the face and scalp, hands and feet, is called “Heaven and Earth”, but one of the most exotic is named “Balinese Bliss for Two” which you have to enjoy with the one you love. Other onboard amenities include golf driving cage and shuffleboard court, a casino with casino bar, conference and card rooms, computer center, library and Bulgari boutiques.
Additional amenities include: Launderettes (3), Medical center, complimentary 24-hour Room Service, Internet/WiFi Access.
Follows the complete list of Silver Shadow lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Casino (with slot machines and gaming tables; served by The Bar)
- Boutique shops (both offer duty-free shopping: luxury jewelry and watches, brand perfumes, fashion, designer handbags, photo/video accessories, Silversea logo merchandise, special occasion gifts, convenience goods)
- The Bar (lounge with ample comfortable seating; offers live music performances, large dance floor, complimentary cocktails)
- Athenian Show Lounge (356 seats, former Venetian Lounge - ship’s theater for live music and show productions; the daily enrichment program offers trivia games, dance classes, language lessons, lectures, media presentations)
- Conference Room (hosts group meetings and conferences; it is adjacent to the Card Room and the Internet Cafe)
- The Swimming Pool (with saltwater; heated during cool-weather cruises; the sunbathing area has teak chaise loungers, 2 whirlpools and tennis tables)
- Connoisseur’s Corner (formerly known as Humidor - ship’s smoking lounge furnished with leather armchairs and selling brand cognacs, vintage wines, fine cigars)
- Panorama Lounge (served by its own bar; offers live music and dancing, Continental Breakfast and Afternoon Tea)
- Observation Lounge (with 270-degree panoramic views and a radar screen; serves early breakfast with coffee)
- The Library (with audio listening stations and on-demand movies)
- The Spa at Silversea (features treatment rooms, and spa therapies including body wraps, massages and facials; sauna and steam rooms)
- Beauty Salon (provides a full range of services: hairstyling, manicures, pedicures)
- Fitness Centre (offers a treadmill, stationary bike, weight machine, elliptical trainer)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track, Golf Cage, paddle tennis, golf putting green.
Silver Shadow wiki
- Silver Shadow cruise ship was built in Italy, in 2000. Her hull was constructed at the yard of Visentini, near Trieste Italy, while final outfitting, was done at the T. Marotti shipyard in Genoa.
- Silversea Shadow ship has an identical "younger" sister - Silver Whisper, that was launched in 2001. The Shadow's godmother is Janet Burke. She christened the vessel on a ceremony on the 14th of September 2000 at the Port of Civitavecchia near Rome, smashing a Salmanazar (nine liters bottle) of Moet & Chandon champagne in her hull. Janet Burke (former Silversea Cruises' SVP of Marketing and Sales).
- The maiden voyage began on the 15th of September 2000. It was a Mediterranean itinerary between two capital city ports - Rome to Lisbon.
- Silversea ships Shadow and Whisper feature the best space-to-guest ratio in the world with a score of 74. This means they offer more space per guest than any other massmarket or luxury cruise ship on the planet. Like the other Silversea vessels Shadow and Whisper have very good guest-to crew ratio - 1,3. All officers and crew members are European trained.
- (March 16, 2012 accident) the ship had a collision with another vessel about 5 miles off the coast of Vietnam in the extremely misty morning. According to passengers, the bow had minor damage. Silver Shadow stopped for about 90 minutes, then it sailed on with no further complications.
- (June 17, 2013 accident) the ship had a CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) surprise inspection and failed it. Some of the crew informed the inspectors that their supervisors instructed them to hide food in their living spaces instead of keeping it in a fridge. CDC, however has no prerogative to fine or detain ships and Silver Shadow was on her way with just some food thrown away.
- Silversea's "flight and cruise" package deals (by the line's Silver Sky programme) are inclusive of the luxury cruise fare, discount round-trip airfare (Economy Class) and airport-pier-airport transfers.
- Silversea's "hotel and cruise" package "Silver Shore Simply Hotel" offers overnight 5-star luxury hotel stays with the option of adding transfers or upgrades. The upgraded cruise and hotel package ("Silver Shore Grande Hotel") offers 1-3-nights landmark hotel stays (or at a boutique property), and is inclusive of private transfers (airport-hotel and hotel-pier).
- China Merchants Group entered into an agreement to charter Silver Shadow for pan-Asian itineraries between January 29, 2017 and May 4, 2017. Silversea's Asian cruise itineraries will include days at sea and plenty of maiden ports of call, with access to innovative and iconic ports, old and new.
Silver Shadow - user reviews and comments
Photos of Silver ShadowAdd Photo
Silver Shadow ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Silversea released their new itineraries for 2020-2021, including the inaugural cruise of line's new ultra-luxury vessel, Silver Moon. Venetian...September 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
In 2018, Silversea Cruises is inviting guests to spend the holiday season in all-inclusive luxury as they sail to discover the world’s wonders...August 18, 2018
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported there was a gastrointestinal outbreak on Silversea Cruises' ship Silver Shadow...May 25, 2018
- Cruise Industry
China Merchants Group entered into an agreement to charter Silver Shadow for pan-Asia voyages that will take place between January 29, 2017 and May 4...August 20, 2016
- show more news
Other Silversea cruise ships
Silver Shadow Itineraries
The below listed Silver Shadow cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Silversea fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Oct 29||15 days, one-way from Tokyo to Hong Kong||Tokyo|
|2018 Nov 13||11 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong|
|2018 Nov 13||9 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Phu My||Hong Kong|
|2018 Nov 24||14 days, one-way from Singapore to Laem Chabang||Singapore|
|2018 Nov 24||11 days, one-way from Singapore to Phu My||Singapore|
|2018 Nov 24||6 days, one-way from Singapore to Manila||Singapore|
|2018 Nov 30||8 days, one-way from Manila to Laem Chabang||Manila|
|2018 Dec 08||14 days, one-way from Laem Chabang to Singapore||Laem Chabang|
|2018 Dec 08||12 days, one-way from Laem Chabang to Phu My||Laem Chabang|
|2018 Dec 22||14 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore|
|2018 Dec 22||4 days, one-way from Singapore to Laem Chabang||Singapore|
|2018 Dec 22||3 days, one-way from Singapore to Laem Chabang||Singapore|
|2019 Jan 05||14 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong|
|2019 Jan 05||6 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Phu My||Hong Kong|
|2019 Jan 19||13 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore|
|2019 Feb 01||7 days, round-trip Hong Kong To Hong Kong||Hong Kong|
|2019 Feb 08||14 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong|
|2019 Feb 08||6 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Phu My||Hong Kong|
|2019 Feb 22||14 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore|
|2019 Feb 22||6 days, one-way from Singapore to Phu My||Singapore|
|2019 Mar 08||13 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong|
|2019 Mar 08||4 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Phu My||Hong Kong|
|2019 Mar 21||12 days, round-trip Singapore To Singapore||Singapore|
|2019 Mar 21||5 days, one-way from Singapore to Yangon||Singapore|
|2019 Mar 26||7 days, one-way from Yangon to Singapore||Yangon|
|2019 Apr 02||15 days, one-way from Singapore to Mumbai||Singapore|
|2019 Apr 02||3 days, one-way from Singapore to Phuket||Singapore|
|2019 Apr 17||9 days, one-way from Mumbai to Dubai||Mumbai|
|2019 Apr 26||15 days, one-way from Dubai to Piraeus||Dubai|
|2019 May 11||11 days, one-way from Piraeus to Villefranche-sur-Mer||Piraeus|
|2019 May 22||5 days, round-trip Nice To Nice||Villefranche-sur-Mer|
|2019 May 30||11 days, round-trip Barcelona To Barcelona||Barcelona|
|2019 Jun 10||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Monte Carlo||Barcelona|
|2019 Jun 17||11 days, one-way from Monte Carlo to Venice||Monte Carlo|
|2019 Jun 28||9 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice|
|2019 Jul 07||10 days, one-way from Piraeus to Civitavecchia||Piraeus|
|2019 Jul 17||17 days, round-trip Rome (Civitavecchia) To Rome (Civitavecchia)||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Jul 17||10 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Jul 27||14 days, round-trip Barcelona To Barcelona||Barcelona|
|2019 Jul 27||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona|
|2019 Aug 03||16 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Lisbon||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Aug 03||7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Aug 10||9 days, one-way from Barcelona to Lisbon||Barcelona|
|2019 Aug 19||11 days, one-way from Lisbon to Monte Carlo||Lisbon|
|2019 Aug 30||14 days, round-trip Monte Carlo To Monte Carlo||Monte Carlo|
|2019 Aug 30||7 days, one-way from Monte Carlo to Barcelona||Monte Carlo|
|2019 Sep 06||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Monte Carlo||Barcelona|
|2019 Sep 13||9 days, one-way from Monte Carlo to Venice||Monte Carlo|
|2019 Sep 22||11 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia||Venice|
|2019 Oct 03||14 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Piraeus||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Oct 03||7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia|
|2019 Oct 10||7 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice|
|2019 Oct 22||11 days, round-trip Athens (Piraeus) To Athens (Piraeus)||Piraeus|
|2019 Nov 21||12 days, one-way from Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale||Lisbon|
|2019 Dec 03||7 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan||Fort Lauderdale|
|2019 Dec 10||9 days, one-way from San Juan to Fort Lauderdale||San Juan|
|2019 Dec 19||9 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan||Fort Lauderdale|
|2019 Dec 28||10 days, one-way from San Juan to Bridgetown||San Juan|
|2020 Jan 07||7 days, round-trip Bridgetown To Bridgetown||Bridgetown|
|2020 Jan 14||10 days, one-way from Bridgetown to Fort Lauderdale||Bridgetown|
|2020 Jan 24||13 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Callao||Fort Lauderdale|
|2020 Feb 06||20 days, one-way from Callao to Buenos Aires||Callao|
|2020 Feb 26||10 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro||Buenos Aires|
|2020 Mar 07||33 days, one-way from Rio de Janeiro to Lisbon||Rio de Janeiro|
|2020 Mar 07||20 days, one-way from Rio de Janeiro to Fort Lauderdale||Rio de Janeiro|
|2020 Mar 07||17 days, one-way from Rio de Janeiro to San Juan||Rio de Janeiro|
|2020 Mar 07||12 days, one-way from Rio de Janeiro to Bridgetown||Rio de Janeiro|
|2020 Mar 19||8 days, one-way from Bridgetown to Fort Lauderdale||Bridgetown|
|2020 Mar 27||13 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Lisbon||Fort Lauderdale|
|2020 Apr 09||7 days, one-way from Lisbon to Barcelona||Lisbon|
|2020 Apr 16||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona|
|2020 Apr 23||10 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia|
|2020 May 03||11 days, one-way from Barcelona to Venice||Barcelona|
|2020 May 14||9 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice|
|2020 May 23||7 days, round-trip Athens (Piraeus) To Athens (Piraeus)||Piraeus|
|2020 May 30||13 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice||Piraeus|
|2020 Jun 12||6 days, round-trip Venice To Venice||Venice|
|2020 Jun 18||12 days, one-way from Venice to Barcelona||Venice|
|2020 Jun 30||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona|
|2020 Jul 07||10 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia|
|2020 Jul 17||9 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice|
|2020 Jul 26||7 days, round-trip Athens (Piraeus) To Athens (Piraeus)||Piraeus|
|2020 Aug 14||7 days, round-trip Venice To Venice||Venice|
|2020 Aug 21||10 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia||Venice|
|2020 Aug 31||7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Monte Carlo||Civitavecchia|
|2020 Sep 07||7 days, one-way from Monte Carlo to Barcelona||Monte Carlo|
|2020 Sep 14||10 days, round-trip Barcelona To Barcelona||Barcelona|
|2020 Sep 24||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona|
|2020 Oct 01||11 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Piraeus||Civitavecchia|
|2020 Oct 12||7 days, round-trip Athens (Piraeus) To Athens (Piraeus)||Piraeus|
|2020 Oct 19||10 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice||Piraeus|
|2020 Oct 29||12 days, one-way from Venice to Barcelona||Venice|
|2020 Nov 10||15 days, one-way from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale||Barcelona|
|2020 Nov 25||9 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan||Fort Lauderdale|