Cornwallis Island is one of the Nunavut's Queen Elizabeth Islands (Arctic Canada) located at the Northwest Passage route's northern end. The isle is separated from Devon Island (to the east) by Wellington Channel and from Somerset Island (to the south) by Parry Channel. Cornwallis has a total area of 6995 km2 (2701 ml2), ranking it Canada's 21st largest and the world's 96th largest island. To the northwest is located the Little Cornwallis Island.
- The island has population of around 300, length of 113 km (70 ml), width of 95 km (59 ml) and highest elevation point 359 m (1178 ft).
- Resolute (aka Resolute Bay) is a small Inuit settlement on the island, and is Canada's 2nd most northerly community- after Grise Fiord (on Ellesmere Island). Resolute is also one of the world's coldest inhabited towns, with an average yearly temperature of 3,7 F (-15,7 C).
- The European who discovered Cornwallis Island was Sir William Edward Parry (1790-1855, a British rear-admiral and Arctic explorer). In 1819 he named the issland after Sir William Cornwallis (1744-1819, a British Royal Navy admiral).
- In August 2007, CBC News reported there are plans of the Canadian Forces to build an army training facility and an USD 60 million deep-water port at Nanisivik (on Baffin Island) approx 370 km (230 ml) to the southeast. Soon, the Canadian Prime Minister confirmed the construction of two military facilities within the Canada's Arctic territory, consisting of an army training centre (at Resolute, Cornwallis Island) and a deepwater naval port at Nanisivik (Baffin Island). The Resolute Bay's Training Centre is an year-round multi-purpose army facility supporting the Canada's Arctic training and military (or civilian) emergency operations. It accommodates up to 100 personnel.
- Resolute Bay Airport serves as a hub for all the central Nunavut islands, connecting Cornwallis directly to Iqaluit (on Baffin Island).
- The town of Resolute Bay has 3 hotels (Qausuittuq Inns North, South Camp Inn, Airport Hotel – each with over 100 rooms), several lodges, Canadian Mounted Police station, school, gym, retail shop, gift shop (at the airport).
Cornwallis Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Cornwallis Island Canada dock (anchor) at Resolute - port town on the south-eastern coast.
The following map of Cornwallis Island shows all bays and points, as well as all the neighbouring islands.
Port Cornwallis Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Cornwallis Island, Resolute, Nunavut, Arctic Canada. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|30 August, 2020|
The Cornwallis Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Cornwallis Island, Resolute, Nunavut, Arctic Canada.
If you lose the Cornwallis Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.