Esperance is a port town located in Goldfields-Esperance region, on the Southern Ocean coastline of Western Australia, approx 720 km (450 ml) east-southeast of Perth, the state capital. The town has population of around 10,000 (shire around 14,000).
Esperance is the only seaport in Western Australia's southeast. In 2002, the Port Authority completed an AUD 54 million upgrade which made the port one of the deepest found in southern Australia, capable to handle Cape-class vessels (up to 180,000 GT tons) and fully loaded Panamax-class ships (up to 75,000 GT tons).
- Close to Esperance are numerous beaches which offer swimming, surfing and scuba diving. Also nearby are several salt lakes, such as Pink Lake, which has its rosy hue from the red algae living within.
- The sea here is home to the Cyclops wave, said to be the heaviest wave in the world, with massive amounts of water that unload on shallow reef. Cyclops wave is featured in the films Billabong Odyssey, and Bra Boys documentary.
- There are 5 major national parks near Esperance. A major tourist attraction, 20 min away from the city centre, is Cape Le Grand National Park. It boasts a picturesque coast of granite terrain and white sand beaches. Cape Le Grand National Park is a popular site for recreational fishing, hikers and four wheel drive enthusiasts.
- A few wind turbines near the town supply it with electricity. At Salmon Beach is Australia's first electrical wind farm, built in 1987 as research facility.
- In late 2007, a TV ad promoting one of the newer Ferrari cars was filmed on the foreshore of Esperance, to be shown overseas.
Port Esperance WA cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Esperance WA, Western Australia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|23 December, 2021|