40 °F / 5 °C
Isle of Gigha is an island located off the Kintyre peninsula's west coast (Argyll and Bute, Scotland). Gigha island has a total area of approx 14 km2 (5,5 ml2) and population around 200.
- Gigha Island features mild climate, more than average sunshine hours and fertile soils. Its population peaked to over 700 inhabitants during the 18th century. During the 20th century, the island's many owners hindered its development. in 2002, a "community buy-out" transformed the island, which population is constantly growing and new commercial activities complement the local tourism and farming.
- The island's economy is largely based on tourism, livestock farming and small-scale sea fishing.
- Caledonian MacBrayne ferry service connects Ardminish (island's only settlement) with Tayinloan (Kintyre, mainland Scotland), which in turn links to A83 road.
- Gigha Island's tourist attractions include the Achamore Gardens (started in 1945, popular for their azaleas and rhododendrons), beautiful sandy beaches, the St Catan's Chapel ruins (13th century) and a 9-hole golf course. The island also features abundant wildlife (mainly seabirds) and numerous shipwrecks on the surrounding skerries and rocks.
Isle of Gigha cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Gigha Island dock (anchor) at Ardminish - port town on the eastern coast. Ferry ships actually dock on a pier located to the northeast of the town.