Kastellorizo (officially Nisos Megisti) is a Greek island in southeastern Mediterranean. The island covers a total area of approx 12 km2 (5 ml2) and has population around 500.
- Kastellorizo island lies roughly 2 km (1 ml) off the south coast of Turkey, 125 km (78 ml) east of Rhodes, 280 km (170 ml) to Cyprus and around 570 km (354 ml) southeast of Athens. Kastellorizo is part of Rhodes regional unit.
- The island became well known in recent years among travellers looking for an isolated place in Dodecanese, due also to the Oscar-winning movie Mediterraneo (1991), by Gabriele Salvatores, that is set on the island during the World War II.
- The houses on the island are slender, featuring wooden balconies and windows of Anatolian type. Many houses are in a ruinous state yet, behind the waterfront. At the entrance to harbour, on the eastern side, stand single story remnants of palazzina della delegazione (former Italian government house), built in 1926 by Italian architect Florestano Di Fausto (1890-1965), who also designed a number of the most important buildings of Rhodes' Italian period.
- Beyond the summit of Kastellorizo island known as Vigla (270 m/886 ft), stands the old castle and island's ancient acropolis, Palaiokastro. This fortified elevation features classical origins: its plan is rectangular, measuring 60 by 80 m (200 by 260 ft). In the interior stand large water cisterns and an ancient tower, constructed with square limestone blocks.
- Kastellorizo island is linked with Kas, Rhodes and Piraeus by ferry. The frequency of passenger ferries is as follows: Kastellorizo-Rhodes-Symi-Tilos-Nisyros-KalymnosPiraeus : two trips per week in winter period; Kastellorizo-Kas : 1 trip per week.
- Air connection is provided via Olympic Air, operating from Kastellorizo Airport four times per week during winter. There is a small bus in service on the island of Kastellorizo, used to collect visitors from the airport.
Kastellorizo island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Kastellorizo Island dock (anchor) at Megísti - port town on the eastern coast.
Port Kastellorizo island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Kastellorizo island, Greece. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|28 May, 2021|
- Cruise Industry
HalkiThe tall sailing ship cruise company Star Clippers included 3 maiden ports two roundtrips from Athens (Piraeus) in July 2021 - the lesser-known...March 3, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Three lesser-known islands in the Dodecanese, Greece - Halki, Kastellorizo, and Symi - are new destinations for Star Clippers in summer 2021, as is...November 27, 2019
- show more news