Noshiro (Noshiro-shi) is a port city in Japan's Akita Prefecture (Honshu Island's Tohoku region), with population around 55,000. The city is bordered to the west by the Sea of Japan. Yoneshiro River flows through the city and empties close to the seaport.
According to ancient Japanese chronicles, the town was the site where a ship expedition landed in 658 AD with orders to submit local Emishi tribes to Yamato Court rule. Trade ships from Balhae were visiting the port as late as 771 AD.
Town's area was part of Dewa - ancient province dominated by Satake clan (Edo period) who ruled Kubota Domain under Tokugawa shogunate. The modern city was created in 1940 via merger between Noshirominato, Sakaki and Shinonome. In 2006 into Noshiro City was merged Futatsui.
The city's current economy is based mainly on commercial fishing and agriculture.