Oberwesel is a Rhine River cruise port and town in Rhineland-Palatinate state ((western Germany, wit population around 3,000. The town is on the river's west bank and located in Rhine Gorge (UNESCO site), between Sankt Goar and Bacharach.
Oberwesel's history started as the Celtic settlement Vosavia (Volsolvia). Later, the Romans maintained a horse-changing station here. Later it became Wesel Estate (Frankish royal holding) and in 966 AD was granted to the Archbishopric of Magdeburg. In 1220 it again became German imperial city. In 1689, the town was destroyed by French soldiers during the Nine Years War (1688–1697). In 1794, Oberwesel was occupied and in 1802 annexed by France. After the Congress of Vienna (1815), the town became again Prussian.
Traditionally for Germany's Middle Rhine region, local economy has always been based on winegrowing and trade. Within the wine region, Oberwesel is one of the biggest winegrowing centres. The vineyards are steeply terraced. Here are produced mainly Riesling (80%) and white grape varieties (20%, including Thurgau, Kerner, Pinot Blanc) plus some red varieties (Pinot Noir, Dornfelder). All qualities and kinds of wines are produced. The town houses around 30 private (family-owned) wine estates.