Peenemunde (translated "River Mouth") is a Baltic Sea port town on Usedom Island's northwestern part, and in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern state (Germany). It covers a total area of approx 25 km2 (10 ml2) and has population under 500.
Peenemunde port is on the westernmost extremity of a sand-spit, where Peene River empties into Baltic Sea. To southeast it borders the Karlshagen sea resort. Peenemünde harbour can be reached by ferry boat from Kroslin, across Peene River. Cruise ships usually navigate along Rugen Island's coast, where stop at Binz or Sassnitz. The local railway station is Usedomer Baderbahn line's northern terminus to Zinnowitz (spa town on Usedom's northern coast). Flights are served by Peenemunde Airfield.
- The town is famous for the Peenemunde Army Research Center, where during Nazi Germany times was developed world's first large liquid-propellant rocket (V-2).
- During WW2 (1939-1945) the Peenemunde area was involved in the production of V-2 rockets, until it was relocated to Nordhausen am Harz (Thuringia, Germany). The docks were used by the ships that recovered the wreckage V-2 from test launches over Baltic Sea.
- Post-war Port Peenemunde was a Soviet naval base until it was turned over to East Germany in 1952. Initially, seaport facilities were used by East German Seepolizei building new facilities for police motorboats construction.
- The birthplace of modern rocket science is now displayed at Peenemunde Historical Technical Museum, opened in 1992 in the former Army Testing Site's power station. Exhibits include V-1 and V-2 rockets.