Pulau Sumba Island (eastern Indonesia) is one of Lesser Sunda Islands (East Nusa Tenggara province). The island covers a total area of approx 11153 km2 (4306 ml2) and has population around 660,000. To northwest is Sumbawa, to northeast (across Sumba Strait), is Flores. to south (across Indian Ocean) is Australia, and to east (across Savu Sea) is Timor.
- Pulau Sumba is among Indonesia's poorer islands, with highly stratified society based on castes.
- The island is popular for its ikat textiles, notably detailed hand-woven ikat. The heavy process of dying and weaving these clothes is very labor-intensive and usually take months to make.
- In 1998, two national parks (Manupeu Tanah Daru, and Laiwangi Wanggameti) were designated on the island for protection of endangered species.
- Most popular tourist places to visit include Puru Kambera Beach (26 km from Waingapu, approx 1 hour drive), Tarimbay Bay (surfing location approx 120 km from Waingapu, 5 hours drive, waves are 2-3 m tall in June-September), Watu Mandorak Cove (white sand beach with cliffs, approx 42 km from Tambolaka, or 2 hours drive).
- The most popular resort on Pulau Sumba Island is Nihiwatu Resort (watch the video). For its authentic experience, Nihiwatu Resort is ranked among world's top 5 best eco-hotels and "world’s best hotel 2016" by Travel+Leisure. Despite the expensive rates, this resort is always fully booked.
Pulau Sumba Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Pulau Sumba Island dock (anchor) at Waingapu on the north-eastern coast.
Pulau Sumba Island cruise port videos
Port Pulau Sumba Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Pulau Sumba Island, Indonesia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|24 July, 2019|
The Pulau Sumba Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Pulau Sumba Island, Indonesia.
If you lose the Pulau Sumba Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.