34 °F / 1 °C
Roquemaure is a Rhone River cruise port and town in Gard department (southern France), located approx 12 km (8 ml) north of Avignon. It has population around 6,000 and covers total area approx 26 km2 (10 ml2).
During medieval times, here was built a royal castle. After the French Revolution (1789-1799), the castle was dismantled and currently only 2 towers remain. During 18th century, the town was a centre of wine production. Viticulture (science-production-study of grapes) is still a major business here and a few types of wine are still produced (classified as "Cotes du Rhone").
From mid-17th century, the river port was approx 400 m (1300 ft) to the west of the castle - close to present-day car park and Cave Granier. During 18th century, the river deposited silt around Ile de Meimart (small island) which increased in size and blocked access to the port. During 19th century were made attempts to build new port (north of Square Tower), but silt's build-up constantly limited its water depth.
In 1835 started construsction works on suspension bridge over the river at Roquemaure. The bridge was destroyed in August 1944 (during WW2 / 1939-1945) by an American bomber aircraft. After the war, a chain ferry was operated across Rhone until the current bridge was opened in 1959.