Thursday Island (caka Waiben) belongs to Torres Strait Islands archipelago (Queensland, Australia) located approx 39 km (24 ml) north of Cape York Peninsula. The island covers a total area of approx 3,5 km2 (1,4 ml2) and has population around 3,000.
- Thursday Island's traditional owners (of its land and the surrounding waters) are the Kauraregs (Muralag peoples).
- The island's highest elevation point is Milman Hill (104 m / 341 ft above sea level). The island is in part self-sufficient for water, but some is piped from the adjacent Horn Island. Thursday Island has two wind turbines generating some of the required electricity.
- Thursday Island is one of the two bases for Torres Straits Pilots, cooperative owned and run by Master Mariners who pilot vessels through the Straits down to Cairns. This service is necessary because navigation through extensive reef systems.
- On the island are located Torres Strait's courts, hospital, educational centres, research organisations, banking institutions, as well as the administrative base for federal, state and local governments.
- The island's economy is dependent on its role as regional administrative centre and supported by fishing and pearling, as well as fast-developing tourism. The most numerous are day-travelers from cruise ships visiting the island.
- There are few heritage-listed sites popular among tourists- Quetta Memorial Precinct, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church, Thursday Island Cemetery (Japanese Cemetery and the Grave of John Douglas), Customs House and Gab Titui Cultural Centre (showcasing both heritage and contemporary artworks).
Port Thursday Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Thursday Island, Queensland Australia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|18 December, 2022|
|20 December, 2022|
|22 December, 2022|
|Seven Seas Explorer||12:00||20:00|
- Cruise Industry
P&O Australia's Pacific Explorer is the first international cruise ship to visit Cairns (Queensland)
Port Cairns (Queensland Australia) welcomed P&O Australia's Pacific Explorer over the weekend as the first international cruise ship to visit the...June 20, 2022
- Cruise Industry
Paul Gauguin Cruises (aka "PG Cruises", Ponant-owned brand), operator of the longest continually sailing and highest-rated luxury cruise ship in the...November 25, 2021
A passenger has been winched from AIDA Cruises ship in Torres Strait on Thursday, December 28. According to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority...December 29, 2017
- show more news