Varna is a Black Sea port city located at the mouth of Provadiya River. The city covers a total area of approx 154 km2 (60 ml2) and has population around 335,000.
- Varna is the 3rd largest city in Bulgaria as well as the largest city and seaside resort on Bulgaria's Black Sea Coast. Strategically situated in the Gulf of Varna, it's been a major social, cultural and economic centre for allmost 3 millennia.
- Varna is also a major centre for transportation, business, education, healthcare, tourism and entertainment. It is referred to as Bulgaria's maritime capital and headquarters Bulgarian Navy and merchant marine. Varna was designated seat of Black Sea Euro-Region by Council of Europe in 2008. In 2014, the city was awarded the title European Youth Capital 2017.
- With a long history stretching back to the 6th century BC, Varna was famous in the days of ancient Greeks as Odessos. It was one of the most important port towns of the Black Sea. Cossacks, Crusaders, Romans and Turks all fought over the fertile region with its trade links to the east. In 1828 the Russians captured Varna during the war for liberation of Greece. However, when they left, the city reverted to the Turks. In 1878 it was liberated from the Turks and ceded to Bulgaria by the treaty of Berlin.
- Varna is a modern town of parks, gardens and wide boulevards. Visit the Cathedral, Aladja Monastery, the Stone Forest, the Roman Thermae (remains of Roman Baths), and the Folk Museum. Within a few miles of the city are the renowned resorts of Bulgaria's littoral, favored by the Romans for rejuvenation and relaxation. Today the Bulgarian beaches still seduce with limpid waters and fine sands. Nearby mud baths and hot springs complete the health-promoting effects of warm, reliable sun and sea air.
- An interesting fact is that the world's oldest gold jewelry, belonging to Varna culture, was discovered in Varna Necropolis. It dates back to 4200-4600 BC.
Port Varna cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Varna, Bulgaria. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|26 September, 2021|
- Cruise Industry
MedCruise’s Black Sea Working Group, which is composed of Odessa (Ukraine), Constanta (Romania), Varna and Burgas (Bulgaria) ports, was created...December 9, 2020
- Cruise Industry
No cruise ships will visit Varna and Burgas during summer 2018, which is an anti-record for Bulgaria's cruise season. The main reason for the...May 15, 2018
- show more news