Timaru is a port city located in southern Canterbury region, New Zealand, 157 km (97,6 ml) southwest of Christchurch and about 196 km (122 ml) northeast of Dunedin on South Island's eastern Pacific coast. The city covers a total area of approx 2,736 km2 (1,056 ml2) and has a population of around 28,800 people (2016 census).
- Timaru urban area is the largest urban area in South Canterbury, and the 2nd largest in Canterbury Region, after Christchurch. Timaru is the seat of Timaru District, including the surrounding rural area and the towns of Pleasant Point, Temuka and Geraldine, which combined has a total population of around 46,700.
- A popular recreational area is Caroline Bay beach. It is located near the city centre, to the north of the port facilities. Beyond Caroline Bay, Washdyke's industrial suburb is at a junction with State Highway 8, the major route into Mackenzie Country.
- Timaru city has been built on rolling hills that emerged from the lava flows of extinct Mt Horrible volcano. The result is that most of the city's main streets are undulating, which is a contrast with the flat landscape of Canterbury Plains located to the north. The volcanic rock is used for construction of "bluestone" buildings.
- The major museum for the region is South Canterbury Museum. It contains exhibits relating to physical geography, environment, Māori rock art, early settlement of the regipn, fossil remains, local maritime history, E P Seally natural history collection, scrimshaw, and information about local inventor Richard Pearse (1877-1953) and his attempts at manned flight during the first years of 20th century.
- The Aigantighe Art Gallery in Wai-iti Road is the 3rd largest art museum of South Island. It holds a collection of Pacific, Asian, European and New Zealand art works from the 16th century to present day and also includes sculpture garden. Established in 1956, the gallery is housed in a homestead constructed in 1908.
- Timaru boasts with a number of public gardens, parks and open spaces. Trevor Griffiths Rose Garden situated at Caroline Bay Park is an important feature of Timaru Piazza development. Bay Area's parkland contains a roller skating rink, mini golf course and staging for musical events. It homes the annual Summer Carnival which takes place over Christmas and New Year holidays.
The Timaru cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Timaru, New Zealand.
If you lose the Timaru location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Timaru cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Timaru, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
14 December, 2017
The world's "sexiest cruise ship' collided with another vessel in Timaru NZ yesterday. The luxury liner Seabourn Encore arrived in Port Timaru...February 13, 2017
- show more news