83 °F / 29 °C
Castaway Cay is a private island in the Bahamas. It serves as an exclusive port for the ships of Disney Cruise Line. Castaway Cay is located close to Great Abaco Island. Formerly, it was known as Gorda Cay. In 1997, Walt Disney Company bought a 99-year land lease from the Bahamian government for the cay, set to expire 2096, giving the cruise company substantial control over the passenger experience on the isle.
Castaway Cay is still largely undeveloped: only 55 of the 1,000 acres (4 km2) are being used. Now it has around 90-140 permanent residents who keep the isle running daily, as the numbers fluctuate between busy and off season.
A post office on Castaway Cay features special Bahamian postage that is specific to Disney Cruise Line, as well as a "Castaway Cay" postmark. The isle is developed in the theme of castaway community, and the buildings are made to look as if they have been improvised after shipwreck. All facilities are maintained like the other Disney theme parks, and the shops accept passengers' stateroom keys for payment. Food service is operated as extension of cruise packages. Various activities are available to Disney guests including personal watercraft rental, bicycle hire, massages overlooking the ocean, para-sailing, snorkeling, volleyball and basketball. Also available are monkey bars and a rope for kids to climb across set around 98 ft (30 m) in the ocean on one beach and a slide around 82 ft (25 m) into the ocean on another. There are 3 beaches for passengers: one for Cabana guests, one for families, and another (named Serenity Bay) exclusively for adults.
Castaway Cay cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Castaway Cay dock (anchor) next to Castaway Cay Family Beach on the western coast.
Signature facilities and services on Castaway Cay are:
- Castaway Cay Airport is a private Disney airport located on the island.
- There is a Post Office with a special Bahamian postage (Disney Cruise Line themed). A "Castaway Cay" postmark is also officially issued.
- The island and all its facilities are maintained like a Walt Disney park. All shops accept passengers' cabin keys (onboard account cards) for payment.
- Dining on the island is operated as on the cruise ship.
- Among the unique shore activities and services are bicycle rentals, personal watercraft rental, ocean-view massages, snorkeling, parasailing, court volleyball / basketball.
- On two of the beaches are constructed monkey bars and a climbing rope for kids (approx 30 m / 100 ft) into the sea).
- The island has a total of 3 beaches - one family, one for adults only (Serenity Bay), and one VIP (for Cabana guests only).
- There are 2 mini submarines in the snorkeling area.
- The Flying Dutchman is the pirate ship from Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.
- On the island there are also facilities for the Disney cruise ship crews. Among those are exclusive beaches and other recreational areas.
- The service staff consists of around 150 - all living permanently on the island. Among them are maintenance personnel, drivers, tour boat captains, landscapers, custodians. All the needed supplies are delivered to the island by the visiting Disney ships. Drinking water is a desalinated sea water produces by reverse osmosis.
Port Castaway Cay cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Castaway Cay, Bahamas Disney private island. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|31 March, 2019|
The Castaway Cay cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Castaway Cay, Bahamas Disney private island.
If you lose the Castaway Cay location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
Walt Disney Cruises revealed its new routes for 2020 including tropical Halloween celebrations and Christmases. Mickey Mouse and co will all be on...July 28, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Disney Cruise Line is reportedly looking for a 2nd Caribbean island for its new ships. In recent years Disney has been expanding non-Florida...August 8, 2017
- show more news