Corinto is a port town located on Nicaragua's northwest Pacific Ocean coast, The municipality was established in 1863. The urban area covers approx 16,5 km2 (6,4 ml2) and has population of around 17,000. The town was a railroad terminus. This is Nicaragua's largest and single Pacific cargo port for commercial shipping (importing/exporting) of goods. The port has its own container terminal and manages a wide variety of cargo - bulk, containers, liquid, cars, etc.
After Nicaragua refused to pay Britain indemnity for the annexation of Mosquito Reserve, on April 27, 1895 the British occupied the Nicaraguan Pacific port Corinto. However, the stay of the British was limited by Clayton-Bulwer Treaty with the United States and Britain was forced to withdraw without adequate compensation on May 15. On May 2, 1896, the U.S. Marines landed in Corinto in order to protect American interests during the political unrest. The USS Galveston landed a detachment of the US Marines at Corinto on January 25, 1922 to reinforce Managua legation guard during a political tension period.
While supporting Contra war against Sandinista government in 1980s, the US Forces mined Port of Corinto. An attack destroyed 3.2 million gallons (12,000 m3) of fuel on October 10, 1983. It is believed that the attack was directed by CIA and carried out by the US Navy Seals.