72 °F / 22 °C
Castaway Cay is a private island in the Bahamas. It serves as an exclusive port for the ships of Disney Cruise Line. Castaway Cay is located close to Great Abaco Island. Formerly, it was known as Gorda Cay. In 1997, Walt Disney Company bought a 99-year land lease from the Bahamian government for the cay, set to expire 2096, giving the cruise company substantial control over the passenger experience on the isle.
Castaway Cay is still largely undeveloped: only 55 of the 1,000 acres (4 km2) are being used. Now it has around 90-140 permanent residents who keep the isle running daily, as the numbers fluctuate between busy and offseason.
A post office on Castaway Cay features special Bahamian postage that is specific to Disney Cruise Line, as well as a "Castaway Cay" postmark. The isle is developed in the theme of castaway community, and the buildings are made to look as if they have been improvised after shipwreck. All facilities are maintained like the other Disney theme parks, and the shops accept passengers' stateroom keys for payment. Foodservice is operated as extension of cruise packages. Various activities are available to Disney guests including personal watercraft rental, bicycle hire, massages overlooking the ocean, para-sailing, snorkeling, volleyball and basketball. Also available are monkey bars and a rope for kids to climb across set around 98 ft (30 m) in the ocean on one beach and a slide around 82 ft (25 m) into the ocean on another. There are 3 beaches for passengers: one for Cabana guests, one for families, and another (named Serenity Bay) exclusively for adults.
Walt Disney's second private Bahamian island destination is Lighthouse Point (on Eleuthera Island's southern coast). Both exclusive Disney cruise ports in The Bahamas are managed by Walt Disney's subsidiary company Disney Parks and Resorts.
Disney Castaway Cay cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Castaway Cay dock on a dedicated pier located next to Castaway Cay Family Beach (on island's western coast).
Signature facilities and services on Castaway Cay include:
- Castaway Cay Airport is a private Disney airport on the island.
- There is a Post Office with special Bahamian postage (Disney Cruise Line themed). A "Castaway Cay" postmark is also officially issued.
- The island and all its facilities are maintained like a Walt Disney park. All shops accept passengers' cabin keys (onboard account cards) for payment.
- Dining on the island is operated as on the cruise ship.
- Among the unique shore activities and services are bicycle rentals, personal watercraft rental, ocean-view massages, snorkeling, parasailing, court volleyball / basketball.
- On two of the beaches are constructed monkey bars and a climbing rope for kids (approx 30 m / 100 ft) into the sea).
- The island has a total of 3 beaches - one family, one for adults only (Serenity Bay), and one VIP (for Cabana guests only).
- There are 2 mini-submarines in the snorkeling area.
- The Flying Dutchman is the pirate ship from Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.
- On the island are also built exclusive facilities for Disney ships' crews, including beaches, sports courts, recreational venues.
- Island's service staff consists of around 150 - all living permanently on the island. Among them are maintenance personnel, drivers, tour boat captains, landscapers, custodians. All the needed supplies are delivered to the island by the visiting Disney ships. Drinking water is a desalinated seawater produces by reverse osmosis.
Port Disney Castaway Cay cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Disney Castaway Cay, Disney Bahamas private island. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|2 October, 2019|
|4 October, 2019|
|6 October, 2019|
|9 October, 2019|
|11 October, 2019|
|13 October, 2019|
|16 October, 2019|
|18 October, 2019|
|20 October, 2019|
|23 October, 2019|
|26 October, 2019|
|27 October, 2019|
|29 October, 2019|
|30 October, 2019|
- Cruise Industry
In early 2021, Disney Cruise Line is scheduled to return to New Orleans (NOLA) for a limited-time engagement with voyages to the Bahamas and...September 28, 2019
With the Hurricane Dorian's passing, major cruise companies were assessing, and gearing up to reopen private destinations in the Bahamas. At Castaway...September 8, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Walt Disney Cruises revealed its new routes for 2020 including tropical Halloween celebrations and Christmases. Mickey Mouse and co will all be on...July 28, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Disney Cruise Line is reportedly looking for a 2nd Caribbean island for its new ships. In recent years Disney has been expanding non-Florida...August 8, 2017
- show more news