Freudenberg is a Main RIver cruise port and town in northeastern Baden-Wurttemberg state (Germany), with population around 4,000. Freudenberg is on the river's left bank, and at state's border with Bavaria (Collenberg, across the river). Freudenberg is approx 15 km (9 ml) west of Wertheim am Main, and approx 30 km (19 ml) southeast of Aschaffenburg.
The town is the terminus of hiking path Nibelungensteig, starting at Zwingenberg (Bergstrasse). It is situated on Nibelungenstraße, a tourist route to Wertheim from Worms. The hills on the left bank of Main are part of Mittelgebirge Odenwald while those on the river's opposite side belong to Spessart. The territory of the municipality totals 3,478 hectares and stretches into the forested hills.
Freudenberg was mentioned for the first time around 1100. In 1806, the city became a part of Grand Duchy of Baden. The first (sandstone) bridge over Main was built in 1907. In 1928-1934, Staustufe Freudenberg followed. With Deutsche Gemeindeordnung and the laws that followed, in 1935 Freudenberg lost the status as town. A year later, Bezirksamt Wertheim was dissolved and Freudenberg became a part of Amtsbezirk/Landkreis Tauberbischofsheim. Towards the end of WWII, the first bridge over Main was blown up. From 1946-1950, a ferry boat linked Freudenberg and Kirschfurt. The 2nd (current) bridge was built in 1950.
Notable businesses in Freudenberg include the furniture manufacturing company Rauch Möbelwerke GmbH, founded in 1897. As part of their plant, Rauch have a zoo which the public are free to visit. It zoo exhibits exotic animals like monkeys, zebras, kangaroos.
Freudenberg is home to the famous high-end distillery Brennerei Ziegler, manufacturing spirits since 1865.