43 °F / 7 °C
Isle of Canna is the westernmost of Scotland's Inner Hebrides islands. Canna Island covers a total area of approx 4,4 ml2 (11,4 km2) and has population under 50 (around 20 people).
At low tide, Canna Island is linked to the neighbouring Isle of Sanday by sandbanks and a road.
- In 1981, both isles (Canna and Sanday) were donated to the National Trust for Scotland (NTS) by John Lorne Campbell (1906-1996). Today, they are operated as a farm / conservation area.
- Canna House is one of the two big houses on the island - the other is Tighard. It contains important archives of Gaelic materials.
- A large natural harbour is shaped between Sanday and Canna. The pier on Canna (along with the piers of the other Small Isles) was enlarged in 2005. It is used by the ferry ship MV Lochnevis (operated by Caledonian MacBrayne), which connects Canna (and the neighbouring islands Eigg, Muck and Rum) to mainland Scotland (port Mallaig) which is approx 2 1/2 hours away. The Lochnevis ferry can also transport motor vehicles (NTS permission is required).
- The harbour between Sanday and Canna islands is sheltered. This is the only deep harbour in Small Isles, and is popular with west coast Scotland yachting traffic from Oban and Arisaig.
- There are some 20 buildings on Sanday and Canna, including 3 churches and a post office. The island's "tea room" closed in 2008 and was reopened in 2010 under the new name "Gille Brighde Cafe & Restaurant".
Isle of Canna cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Canna Island dock (anchor) at Canna Harbour - port town (the island's only settlement) located in a bay on the eastern coast.