49 °F / 10 °C
Isle of Eigg is one of the Small Isles in the Inner Hebrides (Scotland). Eigg island has a total area of approx 31 km2 (12 ml2), ranking it the Small Isles' 2nd largest - following Rum. Its population is around 100.
- Isle of Eigg is located to the south of Skye Island and to the north of Ardnamurchan peninsula (mainland Scotland).
- In 1997, Eigg Island was bought by the Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust - a partnership between the island's residents, Highland Council and the Scottish Wildlife Trust.
- Eigg lighthouse was built in 1906 and is still active. The lighthouse is located on the Eilean Chathastail islet - approx 110 m (360 ft) off Eigg Island.
- Tourism is important to the local economy, especially during summer months. An Laimhrig was Heritage Trust's first major project. It's a new building close to the jetty to house island's post office, shop, craft shop, Galmisadale Bay restaurant and bar, as well as toilet and shower facilities, open 24 hours a day. Two ferry routes are available to the island.
- The Egg Island's main settlement is Cleadale - in the northwest. It is famous for its quartz beach and its "singing sands" - a squeaking noise is produced when walking on the dry sand.
- An interesting fact is that the island generates 100% of its electricity by use of renewable energy.
A sheltered anchorage for yachts and small boats is located at Galmisdale (on the island's southern coast). In 2004, the old jetty was extended to allow docking of roll-on roll-off (passenger and car ferry ships.
The Caledonian MacBrayne ferry ship MV Lochnevis operates on a circular itinerary route leaving roundtrip from Mallaig and visiting the "Small Isles" Eigg, Canna, Muck and Rum. Arisaig Marine runs the cruise ferry MV Sheerwater during summer (April through late September) leaving roundtrip from Arisaig (mainland Scotland).
Isle of Eigg cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Eigg Island dock (anchor) at Galmisadale - port town on the southeastern coast.
Port Isle of Eigg cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Isle of Eigg, Scotland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|29 September, 2019|